MedCapsules Forum
hey james aboutHypothyroidism iodine a good choice - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: hey james aboutHypothyroidism iodine a good choice (/showthread.php?tid=4905)

hey james aboutHypothyroidism iodine a good choice - cdog - 06-05-2013 10:15 PM

Hi james I know u don't really like people over doing iodine but lately I been researching I see people benefit from 600 mg iodine from kelp daily and I read so many articles about iodine. I want to get iodine in my diet so what are the best herbs for the thyroid I have nettle leaf is that good for the thyroid gland and another question Im about to go out of town and I got some enzymes for occasional use Im out of digestive bitters right now I have pancreatin enzymes I have seen articles that say pancreatin enzymes don't survive the stomach acid is this true I just want a little help to break down foods cause I am going to be out of town and I don't have digestive bitters right now there is one from thorne research company has betaine hcl ox bile and pancreatin enzymes Im just using it for a little bit the confusion on the internet is driving me insane cause they only say plant enzymes work in the stomach acid

RE: hey james aboutHypothyroidism iodine a good choice - James - 08-26-2013 05:29 AM

(06-05-2013 10:15 PM)cdog Wrote:  Hi james I know u don't really like people over doing iodine but lately I been researching I see people benefit from 600 mg iodine from kelp daily and I read so many articles about iodine. I want to get iodine in my diet so what are the best herbs for the thyroid I have nettle leaf is that good for the thyroid gland

Nettle is good for the thyroid, but not due to iodine. Nettle leaf is rich in other nutrients and supports other glands such as the adrenals that interact with the thyroid.

But 600mg is a super toxic dose. In fact, I recently lost a friend who died from iodine poisoning from his medication that supplied 75mg of iodine in each pill. I have a section on iodine safety that should be read by anyone who intends to supplement with iodine. They can be found under the thyroid section:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=66

The recommended safe limit is only 150mcg (micrograms), which is less that 1mg daily. Even though iodine is essential to the body we do not require massive amounts despite what the iodine peddlers claim. The body holds on tighter to iodine stores when they are low. Therefore, it does not take a lot of iodine to build up iodine stores. And like anything essential to the body an excess can be very toxic.

The best iodine sources are seaweeds, especially dulse and bladderwrack. Also black walnut hull, coconut oil and dairy products.

and another question Im about to go out of town and I got some enzymes for occasional use Im out of digestive bitters right now I have pancreatin enzymes I have seen articles that say pancreatin enzymes don't survive the stomach acid is this true

Yes, the digestive enzymes people supplement with are proteins themselves and are digested in the stomach by our digestive enzymes. They do appear to have at least a short action though as the body does shut down its own enzyme production when supplemental enzymes are used as studies have shown. Another reason I don't recommend supplementing enzymes.

I just want a little help to break down foods cause I am going to be out of town and I don't have digestive bitters right now there is one from thorne research company has betaine hcl ox bile and pancreatin enzymes Im just using it for a little bit the confusion on the internet is driving me insane cause they only say plant enzymes work in the stomach acid

Only plant enzymes? Why do they think our bodies produce their own enzymes? And if plant enzymes are so effective then why don't the plants digest themselves?