MedCapsules Forum
I Need Help - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: I Need Help (/showthread.php?tid=4844)

I Need Help - Nightowl720 - 04-28-2013 07:24 PM

Hello James~ I have been following you for along time and respect your knowledge. I have been healing/treating my intestinal track post antibiotics taken this winter. 3 rounds!! I have taken probotics for years but after the antibiotics I ended up with gas and bloating. Decided it was time to heal my digestive tract. Upped my probotics to 50 billion Ultimate Flora Critical Care. A week later I added L-Glutamine 1000mg an hour before breakfast. A week later I added Colstrum (Jarrow) and a week after that I added Triphala. I began a strict diet of Basic Kichadi, an occasional coconut smoothie and cream of rice cereal. I am gluten and dairy free. I also take Digest Gold enzyme, Milk Thistle, 800mg Magnesium Glycinate and 1000 Vit C in the evenings. I drink water with aloe vera juice all day, Kombucha 3x a week and make a gel with chia seeds that I eat (2 tbsp )with vanilla and aguava. If I am constipated I take Cascara Sagrada. Been doing this for a month. I am ok if I strickly eat Kichadi but if I have an apple or banana, I get gassy again!! On the weekends, I will eat chicken or fish with rice and a veggie. What else can I do??? I am close to going to the gastro doctor, but he will give me Flagel. I can't live with this gas problem and be a social person. Please help!!

RE: I Need Help - James - 04-30-2013 01:10 AM

(04-28-2013 07:24 PM)Nightowl720 Wrote:  Hello James~ I have been following you for along time and respect your knowledge. I have been healing/treating my intestinal track post antibiotics taken this winter. 3 rounds!! I have taken probotics for years but after the antibiotics I ended up with gas and bloating. Decided it was time to heal my digestive tract. Upped my probotics to 50 billion Ultimate Flora Critical Care. A week later I added L-Glutamine 1000mg an hour before breakfast. A week later I added Colstrum (Jarrow) and a week after that I added Triphala. I began a strict diet of Basic Kichadi, an occasional coconut smoothie and cream of rice cereal. I am gluten and dairy free. I also take Digest Gold enzyme, Milk Thistle, 800mg Magnesium Glycinate and 1000 Vit C in the evenings. I drink water with aloe vera juice all day, Kombucha 3x a week and make a gel with chia seeds that I eat (2 tbsp )with vanilla and aguava. If I am constipated I take Cascara Sagrada. Been doing this for a month. I am ok if I strickly eat Kichadi but if I have an apple or banana, I get gassy again!! On the weekends, I will eat chicken or fish with rice and a veggie. What else can I do??? I am close to going to the gastro doctor, but he will give me Flagel. I can't live with this gas problem and be a social person. Please help!!

The antibiotics will have killed off your intestinal flora, which makes the terrain more alkaline promoting Candida overgrowth. Our flora among their numerous functions are to produce acids that turn off the Candida growth gene and keep the Candida in its benign yeast form as opposed to its pathogenic fungal form.

You are on the right track with most of what you are doing. The chia seed will provide a lot of soluble fiber to help with the flora. I also like insoluble fibers, in particular rice or oat bran. These fibers not only help feed the flora, but also help reduce constipation.

One thing I would definitely recommend adding to your regime is a kefir. Since you are avoiding dairy you could use water kefir or coconut kefir. Kefirs provide more beneficial flora strains than other probiotic sources. Kefirs are also live cultures. Some sources of probiotics may not be live despite the claims. Many yogurt for example.

I don't recommend cascara sagrada, especially for longer than 2 weeks. Cascara sagrada is rich in anthraquinone stimulant laxatives that can lead to a laxative dependence if used for more than 2 weeks.

Constipation itself can have a lot of causes including a lack of flora, lack of fiber, lack of bile, dehydration, hypothyroidism, elevated progesterone, elevated calcium, etc. Therefore it can take a little detective work and experimenting sometimes some experimentation to find out why.

I also recommend avoiding digestive enzymes for several reasons. For one the regular use of digestive enzymes shut down the body's own ability to produce these enzymes. Secondly, taking the enzymes near taking probiotics will digest these good bacteria. And finally, most of the enzyme supplements contain cellulase and hemicellulase that digest the fibers the flora need to feed on. In the process the fibers are converted in to simple sugars that feed the Candida.

If you want to improve your digestion then using bitters are a better choice provided you still have your gallbladder intact and do not have a peptic ulcer. I recommend a half a dropper full on the tongue and swallow before meals. Start out slowly with once every few days and work up to 3 times daily to prevent detox symptoms. And drink plenty of water throughout the day when using bitters. Bitters will also help cut down on the fermentation that leads to the gas formation.

As far as colostrum goes I think it is really over-hyped.

One other thing you can add to help is yucca root powder or capsules. Yucca root will help reduce gas being a surfactant and helps with the growth of the flora.

RE: I Need Help - Nightowl720 - 04-30-2013 08:56 PM

Thank You James. I have printed out your recommendations, and will make the needed changes to my routine.
How long do you suggest I continue with this regime?

RE: I Need Help - James - 05-01-2013 12:05 AM

(04-30-2013 08:56 PM)Nightowl720 Wrote:  Thank You James. I have printed out your recommendations, and will make the needed changes to my routine.

It will probably take a month or two to really re-establish the flora.

Wean off the cascara slowly to prevent rebound constipation. Also it will take a little time to rebuild the flora to regulate bowel movements.

Bitters are something that can be taken on a regualr basis, especially if you are over the age of 40 since this is the age in which stomach acid levels start to decline. And they are good for helping with other things such as preventing gallstones and balancing the hormones.

RE: I Need Help - Nightowl720 - 05-01-2013 12:35 PM

(05-01-2013 12:05 AM)James Wrote:  
(04-30-2013 08:56 PM)Nightowl720 Wrote:  Thank You James. I have printed out your recommendations, and will make the needed changes to my routine.

Wean off the cascara slowly to prevent rebound constipation. Also it will take a little time to rebuild the flora to regulate bowel movements.

Bitters are something that can be taken on a regualr basis, especially if you are over the age of 40 since this is the age in which stomach acid levels start to decline. And they are good for helping with other things such as preventing gallstones and balancing the hormones.

Fortunately, I have only taken Cascara twice in a months time. I am picking up some bitters, yucca root and oat bran today. I am over 40 and have all my organs... No ulcers, stones ect. This is my third week and I am mentally prepared to continue for another month. Thanks James!

RE: I Need Help - James - 05-09-2013 02:26 AM

(05-01-2013 12:35 PM)Nightowl720 Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 12:05 AM)James Wrote:  

Fortunately, I have only taken Cascara twice in a months time. I am picking up some bitters, yucca root and oat bran today. I am over 40 and have all my organs... No ulcers, stones ect. This is my third week and I am mentally prepared to continue for another month. Thanks James!

You're welcome.