MedCapsules Forum
Possible Liver Disfunction? - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: Possible Liver Disfunction? (/showthread.php?tid=4841)

Possible Liver Disfunction? - j226 - 04-25-2013 10:56 PM

hi James,

My last liver enzyme test 6 months ago was normal. I'm looking for your advice if you think there could still be a liver problem or any suggestions on liver cleansing since I have some issues there. Unfortunately, I can't use your liver formula since I'm allergic to tumeric / andrographis although my Dad has had good results with it.

These are the symptoms that I think could be liver related. Most of this started over a year ago.
-Liver cleansing with bitters or bupleurum seem to make my allergies which manifest as skin itching / stinging much worse after several days. I'm considering trying bitters just once every other day then very slowing increasing that over time.
Could this be some kind of detox reaction? I understand how allergies are tied to adrenal function but this possible connection to liver cleansing doesn't quite make sense to me.
For bitters I've tried artichoke leaf, jiaogulan, and grape bitters but the result was the same. With jiaogulan for example, I don't think I'm allergic to it and never noticed allergies after taking it in pill form for over 3 months, but after about 4 days of using it as a bitter my allergies started acting up. Bupleurum might have been helpful in a very small dose but once I started a dose larger than 1/8tsp my allergies got worse.

-Red palms and soles of my feet, I guess this is palmar erythema. The severity can vary but it's worse at night and alcohol makes this much worse temporarily. I used to get some swelling in my hands but that's not much of an issue anymore but there is sometimes a slight swollen feeling in the morning. There might be some water retention since I've noticed that that fat pads on my right hand are a little thicker than the left.
-A few petechiae spots.
-Minor signs of varicose veins, some individual dilated blood vessels that don't follow the typical spider vein pattern, and mild hemorrhoids.
-Poor wound healing and easy bruising.
-Loss of hair below shin level.

For unrelated issues I also have adrenal fatigue with multiple allergies but I've significantly reduced that problem by following your advice. I might also have hypothyroidism since my basal body temp was low.

Thanks.

RE: Possible Liver Disfunction? - James - 04-29-2013 11:39 PM

(04-25-2013 10:56 PM)j226 Wrote:  hi James,

My last liver enzyme test 6 months ago was normal. I'm looking for your advice if you think there could still be a liver problem or any suggestions on liver cleansing since I have some issues there. Unfortunately, I can't use your liver formula since I'm allergic to tumeric / andrographis although my Dad has had good results with it.

"Liver enzymes" do not really show how the liver is functioning. They can show if there is damage to the liver or other organs.

These are the symptoms that I think could be liver related. Most of this started over a year ago.
-Liver cleansing with bitters or bupleurum seem to make my allergies which manifest as skin itching / stinging much worse after several days. I'm considering trying bitters just once every other day then very slowing increasing that over time.
Could this be some kind of detox reaction? I understand how allergies are tied to adrenal function but this possible connection to liver cleansing doesn't quite make sense to me.

It is most likely some type of detox reaction. I often recommend people start out slowly when using bitters since they can create a rather strong detox reaction especially when used multiple times a day starting out. Starting out slow and drinking plenty of water throughout the day helps reduce the risk of strong detox reactions.

For bitters I've tried artichoke leaf, jiaogulan, and grape bitters but the result was the same. With jiaogulan for example, I don't think I'm allergic to it and never noticed allergies after taking it in pill form for over 3 months, but after about 4 days of using it as a bitter my allergies started acting up.

That does not make much sense unless you mean you were using the alcohol tincture as a bitter. In that case you could be having a reaction to the alcohol from the tincture.

Bupleurum might have been helpful in a very small dose but once I started a dose larger than 1/8tsp my allergies got worse.

-Red palms and soles of my feet, I guess this is palmar erythema. The severity can vary but it's worse at night and alcohol makes this much worse temporarily. I used to get some swelling in my hands but that's not much of an issue anymore but there is sometimes a slight swollen feeling in the morning. There might be some water retention since I've noticed that that fat pads on my right hand are a little thicker than the left.
-A few petechiae spots.
-Minor signs of varicose veins, some individual dilated blood vessels that don't follow the typical spider vein pattern, and mild hemorrhoids.
-Poor wound healing and easy bruising.
-Loss of hair below shin level.

For unrelated issues I also have adrenal fatigue with multiple allergies but I've significantly reduced that problem by following your advice. I might also have hypothyroidism since my basal body temp was low.

The hypothyroidism can also cause hair loss from the body.

A lack of vitamin C can lead to adrenal dysfunction increasing the risk of allergies. A lack of vitamin C can also lead to varicose veins, bruising and poor wound healing. Have you tired to increase your intake of vitamin C rich foods such as papaya, kiwis, berries, etc? Vitamin C is the most important nutrient needed for proper adrenal health and the adrenals get priority of available vitamin C over the entire rest of the body. The B vitamin pantothenic acid is the next most important nutrient needed by the adrenals.

I suggest working on your adrenals first since this will eliminate your allergies. This in turn will allow you to do more for cleansing your liver with less chance of a reaction.

Since the adrenals also play a big role in thyroid regulation building up your adrenals may help with the hypothyroidism as well.

Thanks.

You are welcome.

RE: Possible Liver Disfunction? - j226 - 04-30-2013 12:27 PM

(04-29-2013 11:39 PM)James Wrote:  Have you tired to increase your intake of vitamin C rich foods such as papaya, kiwis, berries, etc? Vitamin C is the most important nutrient needed for proper adrenal health and the adrenals get priority of available vitamin C over the entire rest of the body. The B vitamin pantothenic acid is the next most important nutrient needed by the adrenals.

I suggest working on your adrenals first since this will eliminate your allergies. This in turn will allow you to do more for cleansing your liver with less chance of a reaction.

Since the adrenals also play a big role in thyroid regulation building up your adrenals may help with the hypothyroidism as well.

Yes, I've been taking amla for over 6 months plus pantothenic acid, cordyceps, siberian ginseng, ashwagandha, and jiaogulan sometimes. My primary AF symtoms like fatigue, anxiousness, orthostatic hypotension are mostly gone and my allergies are way down. I've suspected that something else is going on like liver or thyroid problems since a few of the symptoms like red palms / soles and occasional hand swelling haven't improved when the AF symptoms mostly went away. I've also suspected leaky gut since some of my allergies are delayed reactions.

RE: Possible Liver Disfunction? - James - 04-30-2013 11:53 PM

(04-30-2013 12:27 PM)j226 Wrote:  
(04-29-2013 11:39 PM)James Wrote:  Have you tired to increase your intake of vitamin C rich foods such as papaya, kiwis, berries, etc? Vitamin C is the most important nutrient needed for proper adrenal health and the adrenals get priority of available vitamin C over the entire rest of the body. The B vitamin pantothenic acid is the next most important nutrient needed by the adrenals.

Yes, I've been taking amla for over 6 months plus pantothenic acid, cordyceps, siberian ginseng, ashwagandha, and jiaogulan sometimes. My primary AF symtoms like fatigue, anxiousness, orthostatic hypotension are mostly gone and my allergies are way down. I've suspected that something else is going on like liver or thyroid problems since a few of the symptoms like red palms / soles and occasional hand swelling haven't improved when the AF symptoms mostly went away. I've also suspected leaky gut since some of my allergies are delayed reactions.

You really need to do your basal body temperature if you want to know how your thyroid is doing. An abnormally low body temperature in conjunction with hypothyroid symptoms is the best way to determine if the thyroid is low.

RE: Possible Liver Disfunction? - j226 - 05-05-2013 11:34 AM

(04-29-2013 11:39 PM)James Wrote:  You really need to do your basal body temperature if you want to know how your thyroid is doing. An abnormally low body temperature in conjunction with hypothyroid symptoms is the best way to determine if the thyroid is low.
I'm not sure how accurate the glass basal thermometer that I have is but after following your instructions and checking a few times the temp was around 96.7.

To boost my thyroid I got some dan shen. What would be a good dose? I've also been taking ashwagandha, zizyphus, coleus, and small amounts of iodine for a while.

RE: Possible Liver Disfunction? - James - 05-16-2013 01:52 AM

(05-05-2013 11:34 AM)j226 Wrote:  
(04-29-2013 11:39 PM)James Wrote:  You really need to do your basal body temperature if you want to know how your thyroid is doing. An abnormally low body temperature in conjunction with hypothyroid symptoms is the best way to determine if the thyroid is low.
I'm not sure how accurate the glass basal thermometer that I have is but after following your instructions and checking a few times the temp was around 96.7.

To boost my thyroid I got some dan shen. What would be a good dose? I've also been taking ashwagandha, zizyphus, coleus, and small amounts of iodine for a while.

If that is an average temperature of multiple readings then that is low. The average should be at least 97.6F.

For the dan shen (red sage root) is straight powder and not a concentrate or standardized extract then I recommend 1/2 teaspoon 2-3 times daily at least 20 minutes before meals. Do not use this herb though if on any blood thinners as dan shen is a fibrinolytic preventing and breaking down blood clots.