MedCapsules Forum
question on testing/analysis - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: question on testing/analysis (/showthread.php?tid=4835)

question on testing/analysis - stockton - 04-20-2013 01:09 PM

Hello James, new user here. I've read a lot of your posts on different medical issues over the past couple weeks so I have a brief understanding on your opinion on candida overgrowth, dental amalgam toxicity, etc. One of the things I find most frustrating is how does one without extensive medical knowledge accurately figure out if they are being affected by these things?

I myself have 4 very small amalgam fillings, less than ideal digestion, generalized anxiety issues, allergy/sinus problems. It's a bit overwhelming with all the misinformation on the internet and all the differing opinions on candida, antibiotics, hair testing, blood testing, chelation, etc. So kind of a loaded post, but I just feel like your opinions on these issues make a lot of sense to me.
http://www.stanford.edu/~bcalhoun/amalgam.htm

also have you read this article before? thoughts?

RE: question on testing/analysis - James - 05-16-2013 01:48 AM

(04-20-2013 01:09 PM)stockton Wrote:  Hello James, new user here. I've read a lot of your posts on different medical issues over the past couple weeks so I have a brief understanding on your opinion on candida overgrowth, dental amalgam toxicity, etc. One of the things I find most frustrating is how does one without extensive medical knowledge accurately figure out if they are being affected by these things?

I myself have 4 very small amalgam fillings, less than ideal digestion, generalized anxiety issues, allergy/sinus problems. It's a bit overwhelming with all the misinformation on the internet and all the differing opinions on candida, antibiotics, hair testing, blood testing, chelation, etc. So kind of a loaded post, but I just feel like your opinions on these issues make a lot of sense to me.
http://www.stanford.edu/~bcalhoun/amalgam.htm

also have you read this article before? thoughts?

I agree that the Internet is full of health misinformation. A large part of the problem is that most of the people writing medical articles have absolutely no medical background to begin with. Therefore, they simply repeat whatever misinformation they read on many sales or propaganda sites without ever bothering to research if the claims are true or not. Take for example the amalgam controversy. How do these people explain that they do not get symptoms until decades later when mercury levels being released from the amalgams are at a minimum? And most of that mercury will never be absorbed since part of it gets exhaled and most of the rest binds to phytates, algins and pectins blocking its absorption and facilitating its removal. If mercury from amalgams were really such an issue then why don't people become sick when the amalgams are first put in, which is when they are at the highest exposure? In fact, the largest release of mercury vapor from amalgams occurs within the first couple of years of having amalgams put in. Yet people are supposedly getting sick decades later and rushing to have their amalgams removed, which ironically exposes them to significantly higher levels of mercury vapor. Personally, I feel that a lot of the symptoms people are experiencing are psychosomatic that they develop after reading the bogus amalgam claims.

Some of the worst offenders of bogus health information are Curezone and Natural Health News. Unfortunately, when you expose their misinformation they censor your information. Curezone banned me for exposing the danger of some of the advice given there and Natural Health News has blocked my responses from being seen in the comments section. I am discussing some of the most dangerous health information sites on the Internet in my blog:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4773

And my responses to the misinformation on Natural Health News still posts to my Facebook page, which can be found through James Sloane, Las Vegas.

Another great example is look at how often the myth gets repeated that Otto Warburg won the Nobel Prize for proving cancer resulted from a lack of oxygen. Warburg won the Nobel Prize for his discovery of an enzyme and NEVER claimed that cancer resulted from a lack of oxygen. He said he thought that cancer cells had a respiratory defect and would continue to ferment regardless of how much oxygen is present. So Warburg never claimed cancer resulted from a lack of oxygen as so many sites keep claiming. In fact, we know today that cancer cells are actually highly dependent on oxygen for survival.

In fact, I find more faulty information being presented about cancer that any other disease. And even when I present the facts and evidence to people like Tony Isaacs and groups such as American Cancer Advocates and Jessica's Hope these people and groups ignore the evidence and continue with their same bogus claims.

Even with a good medical background though it can be difficult to narrow things down. This s because so many common symptoms, such as low energy or mental fogginess can have numerous causes. Sometimes things can be narrowed down greatly by looking at all the symptoms, not just one or two, in order to see what parts of the body can account for these symptoms. For example, fatigue can be caused from anemia, COPD, poor adrenal function, poor thyroid function, etc. Other symptoms can rule out certain conditions. For example, if we include the symptoms of over all hair loss, low body temperature and constipation this rules out anemia and COPD and leaves hypothyroidism, which can be from a number of causes including poor adrenal function. At least the causes are narrowed down at this point, and can be narrowed down further by additional symptoms or with a little experimentation addressing potential causes.

The most important thing though is first to make a list of all your symptoms even if they may not seem related at first. Many times they are related, but just not well known side effects of a condition. For example, if a person gets lab tests how may people are aware that being under a lot of stress raises their blood sugar and cholesterol as will coffee? Or that hormone imbalances can result from liver dysfunction or adrenal issues, which can in turn adversely affect the thyroid?

And don't buy in to the Internet myths such as those about dental amalgams or the acidity causing disease myths. Research how the body really works and use some common sense. For example, how can amalgams cause problems decades down the road when levels of mercury being released are much lower and minimal amounts are being absorbed while constantly being excreted? And if acidity causes all disease then why aren't naturally acidic parts of the body diseased? And why does alkalizing certain tissues promote pathogenic overgrowth and lead to problems such as the proliferation of H. pylori leading to peptic ulcers?

As far as the article goes I am not impressed at all. First of all you can see how desperate the author was to obtain any negative information on mercury by making reference to how mercury was shown to kill cockroaches. Many things that can kill cockroaches in small doses will not kill humans since we are not cockroaches.

The author also uses the information loosely while pretty much ignoring that there are differences in forms of mercury as was mentioned in a reference:

"Although these abnormalities are striking, the absence of clinical toxicity in this patient illustrates the differences in the acute and chronic effects of exposure to elemental mercury, inorganic mercury (e.g., mercuric chloride), and organic mercury (e.g., dimethylmercury). Inorganic and organic mercury are much more toxic than elemental mercury; for example, a dose of 400 mg of mercury in the form of dimethylmercury is usually lethal."

And at one point of the article:

"The symptoms of mercury poisoning, depending on the amount and type of mercury consumed, range from imperceptible to dire."

I also see a lot of assuming such as the statement:

"Could this mean that the liver of a person drinking alcohol is not able to detoxify mercury as efficiently as necessary?"

Where are the hard facts? Where is the evidence that the mercury in amalgams form in to a toxic form of mercury. And moreover than the mercury being released from the amalgams is being absorbed at a rate faster than it can be eliminated from the body? Keep in mind that most of the mercury released from older amalgams is exhaled as vapor or bound preventing absorption but facilitating its elimination. And simply using some common sense, if the mercury in amalgams is as toxic as they want to make it out to be then why don't we see massive numbers of cases of mercury toxicity from amalgams considering how common mercury amalgams are? I still have mine and have no ill health effects. Again, how many people are simply talking themselves in to the symptoms because they read the supposed symptoms on some amalgam propaganda site?

RE: question on testing/analysis - stockton - 05-19-2013 10:52 PM

I see what you are saying and I do not underestimate the placebo effect but I guess in my case, I wasn't so much discovering symptoms after reading these different claims and theories but am more shocked to stumble onto something that could be a cause to a number of strange symptoms/issues I have had for years that no doctor will attempt to diagnose or listen to. I mean when you feel near constant worry, memory problems, irritable, tinnitus, muscle shakiness, etc. and the only explanation you receive is "you must have an anxiety disorder for some reason, just take these anti-depressants." I mean what could be a good test to disprove the theory?

RE: question on testing/analysis - James - 05-26-2013 01:57 AM

(05-19-2013 10:52 PM)stockton Wrote:  I see what you are saying and I do not underestimate the placebo effect but I guess in my case, I wasn't so much discovering symptoms after reading these different claims and theories but am more shocked to stumble onto something that could be a cause to a number of strange symptoms/issues I have had for years that no doctor will attempt to diagnose or listen to. I mean when you feel near constant worry, memory problems, irritable, tinnitus, muscle shakiness, etc. and the only explanation you receive is "you must have an anxiety disorder for some reason, just take these anti-depressants." I mean what could be a good test to disprove the theory?

What I would recommend you do is to start with the more obvious causes of symptoms and address those first. They could be related to your other symptoms as well. For example, in your first post you state " less than ideal digestion, generalized anxiety issues, allergy/sinus problems". The sinus problems could be aggravated by the allergies. Allergies stem from adrenal gland dysfunction and adrenal gland dysfunction is one cause of anxiety. Therefore, working on strengthening your adrenal glands would be a great start. I have information on the adrenals in general here:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=63

And about strengthening the adrenals:

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1527351#i

The poor digestion is likely to be unrelated. The most common cause of poor digestion is a lack of stomach acid, which naturally declines with age. Other things can also decrease stomach acid output though. Here are some old posts on the subject:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2945

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2601

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3202