MedCapsules Forum
Acid Reflux - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: Acid Reflux (/showthread.php?tid=4614)

Acid Reflux - phoggie - 02-02-2013 12:49 AM

James,

This is from your website:
"..acid reflux, which results from the lack of stomach acid. A lack of stomach acid leads to fermentation by yeast overgrowth in the stomach and by fermentation of foods not being digested properly. The resultant gas formation builds up in the stomach and is eventually rapidly released up the esophagus carrying traces of acid with it."

What is a mystery to me, if this is true then why does it help to take antacids, ie. burning sensations and belching stop?? According to this theory shouldn't the opposite be true when taking antacids - further reduction of stomach acid and therefore more gas formation from the fermentation and hence more burning and belching? I'm very confused!

RE: Acid Reflux - James - 02-02-2013 04:01 PM

(02-02-2013 12:49 AM)phoggie Wrote:  James,

"..acid reflux, which results from the lack of stomach acid. A lack of stomach acid leads to fermentation by yeast overgrowth in the stomach and by fermentation of foods not being digested properly. The resultant gas formation builds up in the stomach and is eventually rapidly released up the esophagus carrying traces of acid with it."

What is a mystery to me, if this is true then why does it help to take antacids, ie. burning sensations and belching stop?? According to this theory shouldn't the opposite be true when taking antacids - further reduction of stomach acid and therefore more gas formation from the fermentation and hence more burning and belching? I'm very confused!

Antacids neutralize the small amount of stomach acid that may be present, so even if there is anything going up the esophagus there is no burning.

As for the belching not stopping there are several possibilities depending on what antacids you are taking. Some utilize surfactants that reduce gas formation and some contain smooth muscle relaxants that will keep the lower esophageal sphincter allowing the gas to escape slowly instead of building up then releasing.

RE: Acid Reflux - phoggie - 02-03-2013 01:17 AM

ok thanks that makes sense.

Also you said before that belching on an empty stomach could be from swallowing air, but the belching can sometimes go on for hours. Is it possible to swallow that much air??

RE: Acid Reflux - phoggie - 02-16-2013 02:47 PM

One more thing, the problem with acid reflux is for my friend and he also has GERD. I tried to put him on ACV and his heartburn and belching got really bad, same with the digestive bitters (i'm using Floradix), he said it felt like the acid just kept pouring, he was very uncomfortable and tried to live with it but the heartburn/burping/belching wouldnt stop. He already has been taking B Vitamins for a long time and i'm giving him bee pollen and lecithin granules. But i dont know where to go from here since his acid reflux keeps getting worse and he can't tolerate the vinegar or the bitters. What else can i do to help him with this?

RE: Acid Reflux - JC73 - 02-17-2013 07:26 AM

(02-16-2013 02:47 PM)phoggie Wrote:  One more thing, the problem with acid reflux is for my friend and he also has GERD. I tried to put him on ACV and his heartburn and belching got really bad, same with the digestive bitters (i'm using Floradix), he said it felt like the acid just kept pouring, he was very uncomfortable and tried to live with it but the heartburn/burping/belching wouldnt stop. He already has been taking B Vitamins for a long time and i'm giving him bee pollen and lecithin granules. But i dont know where to go from here since his acid reflux keeps getting worse and he can't tolerate the vinegar or the bitters. What else can i do to help him with this?

Try an all potato diet for one week....nothing else....no salt,no sugar,no oil....just plain baked potatoes....it worked for me.

RE: Acid Reflux - maskedhombre - 02-18-2013 01:13 PM

(02-17-2013 07:26 AM)JC73 Wrote:  
(02-16-2013 02:47 PM)phoggie Wrote:  One more thing, the problem with acid reflux is for my friend and he also has GERD. I tried to put him on ACV and his heartburn and belching got really bad, same with the digestive bitters (i'm using Floradix), he said it felt like the acid just kept pouring, he was very uncomfortable and tried to live with it but the heartburn/burping/belching wouldnt stop. He already has been taking B Vitamins for a long time and i'm giving him bee pollen and lecithin granules. But i dont know where to go from here since his acid reflux keeps getting worse and he can't tolerate the vinegar or the bitters. What else can i do to help him with this?

Try an all potato diet for one week....nothing else....no salt,no sugar,no oil....just plain baked potatoes....it worked for me.

If heartburn is caused by a fermentation in the stomach, I can not see how eating fermentable starches will help, but I'm not an expert!
You could try mastic gum and licorice root to help soothe the stomach and maybe kill H. Pylori which could be the cause of the pain.

RE: Acid Reflux - phoggie - 02-19-2013 01:05 AM

Yes i dont get the eating potatoes either. Maybe JC73 can explain it, it would help to know a little the how's and why's.

Not tried mastic gum but have been giving him the licorice root and so far no noticeable improvement, but it has been less than a month, so who knows. And no, there is no H. Pylori, he has been tested several times.

RE: Acid Reflux - JC73 - 02-19-2013 06:15 AM

(02-19-2013 01:05 AM)phoggie Wrote:  Yes i dont get the eating potatoes either. Maybe JC73 can explain it, it would help to know a little the how's and why's.

Not tried mastic gum but have been giving him the licorice root and so far no noticeable improvement, but it has been less than a month, so who knows. And no, there is no H. Pylori, he has been tested several times.

I tried everything under the sun for several years and nothing really worked all that well until I discovered this.It worked!

I have heard the scientific explanation but I can't remember where I saw it.The best way to see if it will work for you is to try it for one week and see.I know it worked for me and several others that have tried it....so give it a try.One week is long enough to tell if it is going to work.

I will search for the explanation and post it.
(02-19-2013 06:15 AM)JC73 Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 01:05 AM)phoggie Wrote:  Yes i dont get the eating potatoes either. Maybe JC73 can explain it, it would help to know a little the how's and why's.

I tried everything under the sun for several years and nothing really worked all that well until I discovered this.It worked!

I have heard the scientific explanation but I can't remember where I saw it.The best way to see if it will work for you is to try it for one week and see.I know it worked for me and several others that have tried it....so give it a try.One week is long enough to tell if it is going to work.

This link is not it but it will put to rest any idea that an all potato diet is unhealthy.I'm still looking.Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PgBL8f87FE

This link is not it but it will put to rest any idea that an all potato diet is unhealthy.I'm still looking.Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PgBL8f87FE

OK...here it is....I did find some starches are better than others at curing GERD....potatoes are the best especially if your GERD is really bad.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/boosting-good-bacteria-in-the-colon-without-probiotics/

RE: Acid Reflux - phoggie - 02-19-2013 04:40 PM

I dont see any reference in those links why potatoes would help with GERD. This is for my friend not for me, so it would take some evidence to convince him to follow another one of my suggestions, since he believes this last regiment i put him on made him worse.
I followed the McDougall diet for several years about 15 yrs ago. I can't say the diet was all that good for me. For one thing, he is way to obsessed with any kind of dietary fat. I believed the hype at the time and cut out all fat and I could not understand why I kept gaining weight. I dont know the reason, but on a high carb diet my limbs tend to get swollen and I feel bloated, especially in the summer. Also i developed heart palpitations around the same time, not sure if it was because of this diet but there seems to be some correlation. I definitely felt better once i got off the diet and started incorporating fats and proteins again. Everyone is different, and like any diet, this diet is not for everyone, it certainly wasnt for me.

RE: Acid Reflux - James - 02-20-2013 03:19 AM

Antacids literally mean against acid. More specifically they neutralize the stomach acid. If there is no stomach acid present then there is no traces of acid to go up and burn the esophagus. Therefore, they mask the problem and make the underlying condition worse rather than correcting the problem.

As for the gas, many people actually get worse bloating from the antacids. Some antacids though can also act like a surfactant or contain added surfactants, which allow gas to dissolve in to solution thereby reducing gas bloating.

RE: Acid Reflux - James - 02-20-2013 03:21 AM

(02-03-2013 01:17 AM)phoggie Wrote:  ok thanks that makes sense.

Also you said before that belching on an empty stomach could be from swallowing air, but the belching can sometimes go on for hours. Is it possible to swallow that much air??

It is rare to swallow air, but in some cases people will do it especially when eating fast. And yes it can happen for extended period of time.

RE: Acid Reflux - James - 02-20-2013 03:24 AM

I don't know why the ACV would cause this unless maybe he is adding a sugar like honey to make it more palatable.

The Floradix bitters contain fructose, which is a fermentable sugar.

Problems such as H. pylori infection or a hiatal hernia could also contribute to GERD.

RE: Acid Reflux - JC73 - 02-20-2013 06:34 AM

Fermentable starches are mentioned in this article that explain why the McDougall starch diet works for so many to cure GERD.

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4668
Resistant starch....read this

http://journals.lww.com/co-gastroenterology/Abstract/2013/03000/Resistant_starch___a_promising_dietary_agent_for.15.aspx

RE: Acid Reflux - phoggie - 02-20-2013 10:25 PM

(02-20-2013 03:24 AM)James Wrote:  I don't know why the ACV would cause this unless maybe he is adding a sugar like honey to make it more palatable.

The Floradix bitters contain fructose, which is a fermentable sugar.

Problems such as H. pylori infection or a hiatal hernia could also contribute to GERD.

Yes I added a small amount of honey. And for the bitters, wouldn't the amount of fermentable sugar consumed be negligible in a half dropper full especially since taking it with meals and taken together with carbs? I mean the whole point is for the bitters and acv to help with digestion (including the honey/fructose) and why would a small amount honey/fructose render them basically useless? So i guess what i'm saying is the benefits of taking the bitters and acv should outweigh the negative impact of the sugars? Still very confused about this.

RE: Acid Reflux - Smithlife - 05-14-2013 05:05 AM

Pls Aktien more info wie diese.

RE: Acid Reflux - yinyang609 - 03-24-2014 11:23 PM

Is juice feasting cure acid reflux and if so how long should it generally take?
I am not an any meds and have it for about 2 years. Need help please.

RE: Acid Reflux - James - 03-29-2014 04:19 PM

Antacids basically cover up the symptoms of the reflux by neutralizing what little acid remains in the stomach. But this also makes the underlying condition worse, which is why so many people who start on antacids end up living on them constantly.

Some antacids also add surfactants, which reduce gas by allowing the gas to dissolve in to solution.

RE: Acid Reflux - James - 03-29-2014 04:23 PM

(03-24-2014 11:23 PM)yinyang609 Wrote:  Is juice feasting cure acid reflux and if so how long should it generally take?
I am not an any meds and have it for about 2 years. Need help please.

Juice fasting is not going to get rid of acid reflux.

Here is more on acid reflux:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2632