MedCapsules Forum
Looking for suggestions to help post nasal drip - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: Looking for suggestions to help post nasal drip (/showthread.php?tid=3482)

Looking for suggestions to help post nasal drip - Chris86 - 08-29-2012 08:25 AM

Hello. I've been dealing with what I have concluded must be some type of post nasal drip condition for several years now.

I have a fairly constant urge to clear my throat throughout the day and the material (always clear in colour, just like a thick stickier saliva) that needs to be cleared can only be 'caught' by hacking/horking/snorting it up and spitting rather than being blown out of the nose. In between going to the bathroom to do this without being seen or heard, I am constantly clearing my throat by doing the typical "mmmmgg-mmmmmg" action/sound very deeply to try and relieve the annoying 'bubble in the back of the throat' feeling that I have 24/7. This bubble feeling is most annoying when laying down in bed... I find myself swallowing many times in a row to try and relieve it because it feels as if there is something down there that is failing to be swallowed. I assume this is the 'drip' that is slowly running down the walls of the throat because it's stickier than regular saliva or something.

I've been thinking about going to see an ENT doctor but from my researching they will simply prescribe something like flovent or nasonex, or tell my to try some kind of OTC decongestant, which I do not want to depend on.

I should also mention I have an overproduction of eye mucus throughout the day. I need to 'empty' the inside corner of my eyes every few hours in a mirror because they are constantly producing little off-white coloured fatty globules. They're not yellow, green or puss-y looking and it's been going on for years as well so it's not an infection.

Seems like these things point to allergies but I am not allergic to anything per se as far as I know. They're just really big annoyances that have been bugging me for years now...any ideas?

RE: Looking for suggestions to help post nasal drip - James - 08-29-2012 07:47 PM

(08-29-2012 08:25 AM)Chris86 Wrote:  Hello. I've been dealing with what I have concluded must be some type of post nasal drip condition for several years now.

I have a fairly constant urge to clear my throat throughout the day and the material (always clear in colour, just like a thick stickier saliva) that needs to be cleared can only be 'caught' by hacking/horking/snorting it up and spitting rather than being blown out of the nose. In between going to the bathroom to do this without being seen or heard, I am constantly clearing my throat by doing the typical "mmmmgg-mmmmmg" action/sound very deeply to try and relieve the annoying 'bubble in the back of the throat' feeling that I have 24/7. This bubble feeling is most annoying when laying down in bed... I find myself swallowing many times in a row to try and relieve it because it feels as if there is something down there that is failing to be swallowed. I assume this is the 'drip' that is slowly running down the walls of the throat because it's stickier than regular saliva or something.

I've been thinking about going to see an ENT doctor but from my researching they will simply prescribe something like flovent or nasonex, or tell my to try some kind of OTC decongestant, which I do not want to depend on.

I should also mention I have an overproduction of eye mucus throughout the day. I need to 'empty' the inside corner of my eyes every few hours in a mirror because they are constantly producing little off-white coloured fatty globules. They're not yellow, green or puss-y looking and it's been going on for years as well so it's not an infection.

Seems like these things point to allergies but I am not allergic to anything per se as far as I know. They're just really big annoyances that have been bugging me for years now...any ideas?

Actually that does sound like allergies. You should focus on building up your adrenals, which will counter allergic responses.

For the post nasal drip in the meantime the safest way to deal with this is straight quercetin. Quercetin is a naturally occurring bioflavonoid commercially derived from yellow onion skins. Look for straight quercetin, 400-500mg, not combined with quercetin or vitamin C. I recommend one capsule as needed.

RE: Looking for suggestions to help post nasal drip - Chris86 - 08-30-2012 09:35 AM

thanks, I will try the quercetin and I'll get to chinatown as soon as possible to stock up on adaptogens.

I want to also start consistently using my neti pot again. Is there anything you can think of that I could add to the water that would help break down or thin out the mucus that it encounters in there (but that will also be safe and not burn)?

RE: Looking for suggestions to help post nasal drip - James - 08-30-2012 08:39 PM

(08-30-2012 09:35 AM)Chris86 Wrote:  thanks, I will try the quercetin and I'll get to chinatown as soon as possible to stock up on adaptogens.

I want to also start consistently using my neti pot again. Is there anything you can think of that I could add to the water that would help break down or thin out the mucus that it encounters in there (but that will also be safe and not burn)?

I would not much of anything other than saltwater or maybe a little probiotics in water. There are beneficial bacteria in the sinuses as well. Many herbs will kill these beneficial bacteria. So I would not add herbal extracts to the netti pot.