MedCapsules Forum
Estrogen Dominance w/ Low Estrogen - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: Estrogen Dominance w/ Low Estrogen (/showthread.php?tid=3452)

Estrogen Dominance w/ Low Estrogen - HealthLover - 08-21-2012 04:16 PM

James, if a woman has estrogen dominance with low actual levels of estrogen, how do the symptoms differ from just plain estrogen dominance? Would there be a lesser cancer risk because there is less estrogen? Would there be energy or serotonin issues? Or is the fact that estrogen is dominant more important than the actual levels?

For gastritis, would the gel that is created when I cook flax seeds work like slippery elm? I have tree allergies, so I have to take querticin with the slippery elm. The flax would be cheaper and simpler for me.

If cooked food is easier to digest than raw food, why does raw food seem to digest so much more easily for me? I hold water with cooked food, but do not with raw. I thought maybe if it were a thyroid issue, the lack of fiber in cooked foods prevented things from moving well through the system. I also read about the enzymes in raw food being helpful- but you say this is ultimately a stomach acid issue. What do you mean? What is the connection between stomach acid and enzymes? I have kefir at meals- does this suffice to address any acid issues?

Finally, after a bad night of sleep a nap can really help me from getting overtired, and I sleep much better that night. But, I can wake with a terrible headache (I usually take a 1-1.5 hr nap). It is throbbing at the top of my head. Could this be because of weak adrenals not giving me enough of the wake-up hormone cortisol? I have tried:

eating sweet fruit for carbs/sugar
going on my treadmill to bring up the cortisol
going outside
drinking a quart of water in case it is from dehydration
having calcium d-glucarate in case estrogen is feeding a migraine
magnesium malate
extra strength tylenol (does nothing)

If it is a migraine (not sure how I would tell), I guess some of the above could actually make it worse. How would you approach it?

Thanks!

RE: Estrogen Dominance w/ Low Estrogen - Anderson - 08-22-2012 06:33 AM

James has written an interesting article regarding bio-identical hormones and the estrogen/progesterone dominance issue:

http://medcapsules.com/info/bioidentical-hormones.htm

RE: Estrogen Dominance w/ Low Estrogen - James - 08-27-2012 05:35 PM

(08-21-2012 04:16 PM)HealthLover Wrote:  James, if a woman has estrogen dominance with low actual levels of estrogen, how do the symptoms differ from just plain estrogen dominance? Would there be a lesser cancer risk because there is less estrogen? Would there be energy or serotonin issues? Or is the fact that estrogen is dominant more important than the actual levels?

The symptoms and risks are the same regardless of the estrogen levels. The reason is that the estrogen is not being antagonized and thus has a stronger effect on the body.

Antagonizing the estrogen though is not that difficult. A diet higher in plants for example will do the trick since the phytoestrogens in plants antagonize real estrogens.

If there are high levels of unopposed estrogen though the estrogen should be directly addressed though by improving the liver's ability to break down the excess estrogen and weight loss if the person is overweight since fat cells produce estrogen.

For gastritis, would the gel that is created when I cook flax seeds work like slippery elm? I have tree allergies, so I have to take querticin with the slippery elm. The flax would be cheaper and simpler for me.

Yes, any mucilage will work. Marshmallow root or chia seed are also great choices. But I recommend also using some licorice root to reduce the inflammation.

If cooked food is easier to digest than raw food, why does raw food seem to digest so much more easily for me? I hold water with cooked food, but do not with raw. I thought maybe if it were a thyroid issue, the lack of fiber in cooked foods prevented things from moving well through the system.

I am not sure why this is happening, especially without knowing more details such as what foods are causing the problem and how they are being cooked. It could be something as simple as you are losing potassium in the cooking method or salt is being added during the cooking. Either can promote water retention.

I also read about the enzymes in raw food being helpful- but you say this is ultimately a stomach acid issue.

Consider this. If the enzymes in raw food are so active then why doesn't the food digest itself?

What do you mean? What is the connection between stomach acid and enzymes?

Some digestive enzymes are acid dependent for function as where others are alkaline dependent. Pepsin for example is acid dependent and requires sufficient stomach acid to function and break down proteins. The alkaline dependent enzymes work in areas of the digestive system that are alkaline such as the mouth and parts of the intestine.

I have kefir at meals- does this suffice to address any acid issues?

It will help to an extent, but the acids in kefir are considerably weaker than stomach acid.

Finally, after a bad night of sleep a nap can really help me from getting overtired, and I sleep much better that night.

Yes, even a short 15 minute nap can be very refreshing.

But, I can wake with a terrible headache (I usually take a 1-1.5 hr nap). It is throbbing at the top of my head. Could this be because of weak adrenals not giving me enough of the wake-up hormone cortisol?

The very top of the head is an unusual place for headaches to begin with. Is it only when you take a nap or when you wake up in the morning as well? Do you take a nap in the same place as you sleep at night?

I have tried:

eating sweet fruit for carbs/sugar
going on my treadmill to bring up the cortisol
going outside
drinking a quart of water in case it is from dehydration
having calcium d-glucarate in case estrogen is feeding a migraine
magnesium malate
extra strength tylenol (does nothing)

If it is a migraine (not sure how I would tell), I guess some of the above could actually make it worse. How would you approach it?

Thanks!

Calcium can aggravate migraines, but magnesium can help prevent them. Keep in mind though the magnesium would need to be taken on a regular basis prior to the migraines occurring. Once the migraines start they are hard to stop.

Being that the Tylenol is not working it does sound like a inflammatory type headache like a migraine. Tylenol is an analgesic, but not an anti-inflammatory.

RE: Estrogen Dominance w/ Low Estrogen - HealthLover - 08-27-2012 07:26 PM

Hi James,

I don't think my water retention is linked to salt- I only gain from salt when I have something excessively salty like Chinese food. I use the RealSalt you recommended at will with no issue.

On the cooked foods, I will gain some water with, say, baked salmon and 2 c of steamed brussel sprouts w/ some butter. If I make sashimi and a big salad with olive oil, I'll start losing water. I would not gain a lot with the above meal, but it is just an example to show the contrast of the two directions I would head in with cooked vs. raw. Why might raw foods help water retention?

My bigger issues are with carbs or fat. I have trouble keeping carbs in my diet- I need to reduce or eliminate them to get ahead of the water issue or it will just keep accumulating. As well, if I have too much fat in a day or one meal (like, say, almond butter) I will also get a good amount of water gain. Also, if I have a meal with a lot of cooked vegetables, I can gain water.

There is also an issue with a cumulative effect of triggers. For instance, I might be able to get away with one Chinese meal during my luteal phase when I have progesterone...but eat that two days in a row, and it will take quite a while to get rid of the water. Or, if I have too many carbs early in my follicular phase, I will literally have to wait until the luteal phase comes to lose the water- even though I do so many things to clear the estrogen and actually feel pretty balanced in that way. So, it seems more than any one trigger, my body gets overwhelmed very easily. So, even just trying to have carbs on a daily basis causes a problem.

Here are my theories:

1. Is it possible my adrenal fatigue causes a lack of cortisol to release the glycogen stores, so it takes more time to break that down and thus release the water that gets stored with it? But, it seems as my hypoglycemia has gotten much better, the water retention should have, too- which it did not.
Would doing things that "use up" the sugar from carbs, like exercise, make less get stored as glycogen and thus help me retain less water?
If I have insulin resistance, could excess insulin be creating more glycogen storage? Would lowering insulin after meals (excercise, cinnamon, etc.) help with the water retention?
Is there anything else that could reduce the amount of carbs stored and still allow me to have them? Do probiotics do this since they would eat the sugar from fruit? Are there any herbs that would help?

2. I thought it could be gastric emptying, but fiber feels good when I eat it, and I definitely don't feel full or nauseous when I eat.

3. Could it be my adrenal fatigue causes a slow metabolism because of the effects on the thyroid? I am a normal weight, but I cannot eat anywhere near what my activity level should have me eating. As well, the only reason I don't have constipation is because of the effects of a lot of stuff I take- Triphala, fish oil, dandelion root, probiotics, etc. However, my BBT during the luteal phase is over 98.0, and is 97.2-97.5 during the follicular phase- not exactly hypothyroid numbers.

4. Or, perhaps some other digestive issue?

5. I used to be 300 pounds about 15 years ago (I've maintained a normal weight of less than half that), and a nutritionist said she finds people who have lost a lot of weight have problems with fluid retention. Is this a possible cause, and if so, what is the problem?

I think your point about calcium answers the migraine-after-napping issue. I take my calcium at lunch, and I would typically nap a couple of hours later. My magnesium is not taken until bedtime. Can I take my calcium with the night magnesium? Or would I need to increase the magnesium then (not sure if the calcium will prevent my body from getting all the mag)?

I read the following things are supposed to help with low progesterone:
zinc
b6
wild yam
Chinese wild yam tea
egg yolks
dairy
tumeric, thyme, oregano
passion flower

Is that true? And I was surprised to see dairy on the list- does it just add both progesterone and estrogen because it is an animal product? I did notice my PMS is much better when I eat a lot of yogurt- is that the calcium in it, or does it help progesterone? (My PMS is the estrogen-dominant type.)

I thought passion flower stops the conversion of testosterone to estrogen...so, it is good for low progesterone in that it helps estrogen dominance? When I have had it in the past it has really killed libido- is that due to the lower estrogen?

Finally, I have read that wild yam is a phytoestrogen...and then at another site that it is not. Which is the case? Does it have BOTH and estrogen and progesterone effect? If I just wanted a bit of progesterone at certan times in the cycle is wild yam tea a good option so I wouldn't need to take vitex all of the time and wait the couple of months? That is, does the wild yam tea, though it is weaker, work faster and clear the system fast for symptom control?

Thank you.