MedCapsules Forum
Stress and digestion - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: Stress and digestion (/showthread.php?tid=3303)

Stress and digestion - Msigma - 08-04-2012 09:27 AM

Hello again.
After seeing an improvement in digestion following your recommendations the last couple weeks - this week wasn't so good (looser bm's, ton of evening gas with white stringy stuff that I assume is mucus).
I work in a fast pace/high stress environment and this week was extremely stressful. I didn't really change much of what I was eating/taking so wondering if it was all stress related.
Any thoughts?
Also anything I can do to counteract this stress?
I started the grape bitters about a week ago and think it made my burping/spasms a bit worse.

Lastly where do you recommend buying Chinese Licorice Root? The american one is making me feel a little woozy.
Thanks again!

RE: Stress and digestion - James - 08-05-2012 07:31 PM

(08-04-2012 09:27 AM)Msigma Wrote:  Hello again.
After seeing an improvement in digestion following your recommendations the last couple weeks - this week wasn't so good (looser bm's, ton of evening gas with white stringy stuff that I assume is mucus).
I work in a fast pace/high stress environment and this week was extremely stressful. I didn't really change much of what I was eating/taking so wondering if it was all stress related.
Any thoughts?

The symptoms you are mentioning here sound a lot like you are deficient in intestinal flora. Have you been working on building up your flora? If so with what?

Also anything I can do to counteract this stress?

Building up the adrenals will help with stress since the adrenals regulate our stress responses. Here is more on building up the adrenals:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2462

Ashwagandha in particular is good since it is also calming like Chinese licorice root.

I started the grape bitters about a week ago and think it made my burping/spasms a bit worse.

If you have sufficient stomach acid to be released then the bitters should reduce burping by releasing that stomach acid to reduce fermentation. As for spasms the only muscle contractions that the bitters induce would be the gallbladder.

Lastly where do you recommend buying Chinese Licorice Root? The american one is making me feel a little woozy.
Thanks again!

Not off hand. I just did a search for sellers of Chinese licorice root (G. uralensis) but ever licorice root supplier I found listed American licorice root (G. glabra).

RE: Stress and digestion - getwellsoon - 08-05-2012 09:34 PM

Thanks again!

Not off hand. I just did a search for sellers of Chinese licorice root (G. uralensis) but ever licorice root supplier I found listed American licorice root (G. glabra).
[/quote]

[/quote]
James, I would be running out of chinese licorice root soon.....can I still order invidual herbs from you??????????????? I would have to try my luck in the chinatown here....if not I will be in trouble...I now regret for giving away a tub of licrorice that I had ordered from you to my mother in law who is not actually using it back it India. I gave one to my mom and she finished it but she is very poor in following instructions and had the herb with food .....wasted....One more question....should the stomach be absolutely empty before I have my herbs for e.g If I have a banana or carrot can I have the herbs immediately or in 10 mins ? sorry silly question but I wanted to ask this always....

RE: Stress and digestion - James - 08-07-2012 12:35 AM

(08-05-2012 09:34 PM)getwellsoon Wrote:  Lastly where do you recommend buying Chinese Licorice Root? The american one is making me feel a little woozy.
Thanks again!

[/quote]
James, I would be running out of chinese licorice root soon.....can I still order invidual herbs from you???????????????

Since we are discontinuing the powders I packed them away in a storage unit to get them out of the way. I will have to see if I can reach the licorice root.

I would have to try my luck in the chinatown here....if not I will be in trouble...I now regret for giving away a tub of licrorice that I had ordered from you to my mother in law who is not actually using it back it India. I gave one to my mom and she finished it but she is very poor in following instructions and had the herb with food .....wasted....One more question....should the stomach be absolutely empty before I have my herbs for e.g If I have a banana or carrot can I have the herbs immediately or in 10 mins ? sorry silly question but I wanted to ask this always....

It does not have to be absolutely empty, but the least food the better. This is because fats and proteins can block or slow the absorption of compounds.
[/quote]

RE: Stress and digestion - Msigma - 08-07-2012 03:42 AM

Been trying to improve my flora - taking homemade kefir (1/2 to 1 cup) first thing in morning and right before bed. Also taking 2-3 tablespoons of rice bran daily. I was having better bm's and less gas for about a week or 2, but have since went backwards a bit. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like digesting protein might be my problem. Unless I just eat white rice it seems like food is just moving through me too fast.

RE: Stress and digestion - James - 08-08-2012 05:17 AM

(08-07-2012 03:42 AM)Msigma Wrote:  Been trying to improve my flora - taking homemade kefir (1/2 to 1 cup) first thing in morning and right before bed. Also taking 2-3 tablespoons of rice bran daily. I was having better bm's and less gas for about a week or 2, but have since went backwards a bit. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like digesting protein might be my problem. Unless I just eat white rice it seems like food is just moving through me too fast.

You mentioned some stringy white stuff in your first post, which sounds like mucus. So you could have an intestinal inflammatory disorder, which would speed up transit time and create more mucus. Have you tried any intestinal ani-inflammatories such as yucca root (Yucca schidegra)? Taking with some licorice root will improve the flavor and licorice root is also a strong anti-inflammatory.