MedCapsules Forum
Magnesium Stearate - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Holistic Medical Topics (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Health Myths and Quackery (/forumdisplay.php?fid=108)
+---- Thread: Magnesium Stearate (/showthread.php?tid=3233)

Magnesium Stearate - Anderson - 07-29-2012 08:58 AM

Some people like Mercola has been spreading the word that Magnesium Stearate is not good. It is used in many capsules. I wonder if there is any evidence about this.

I heard the same about titanium dioxide.

RE: Magnesium Stearate - James - 07-30-2012 02:51 AM

(07-29-2012 08:58 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Some people like Mercola has been spreading the word that Magnesium Stearate is not good. It is used in many capsules. I wonder if there is any evidence about this.

I have gotten to the point that I would not trust anything Mercola had to say even if my life depended on it. In fact I have written a number of posts debunking Mecola's bogus claims. Many of these can be found simply by searching "Mercola" on this website.

I used to have some respect for him, but in my opinion it seems like he simply jumps on whatever fear mongering bandwagon that happens to be popular at the moment to help push up his ratings in the search engines without even bothering to verify if his claim have any legitimacy.

What's ironic is that magnesium stearate is simply magnesium bound to stearic acid. And a common source of stearic acid is beef, which the Weston Price Foundation promotes. Mercola sits on the board of the Weston Price Foundation, which is why Mercola has kept repeating false propaganda about the dangers of soy that has been debunked so many times. This would not be the first time that Mercola has contradicted himself though. For example, Mercola has repeatedly bashed soy because he claims the phytoestrogens in soy can harm the body in numerous ways from causing cancer to fertility issues later in life. None of this is true, but the real funny part is that Mercola calls flax seed a health food even though it contains nearly 4 times higher levels of phytoestrogens than soy. If soy is cooked or fermented the difference is even greater as these further decrease the phytoestrogens in soy.

Flax seed also contains other compounds Mercola incorrectly refers to as "toxins" such as phytic acid and protease inhibitors.

Mercola also sells a resveratrol supplement but fails to tell his customers that resveratrol is a phytoestrogen, which he claims causes all sorts of health issues.

And I am not the only person who thinks Mercola is using scare tactic hype to sell products:

http://www.michaelmooney.net/MagnesiumStearate.html

"In Dr. Mercola's case, he frequently says wild fear-mongering things to get more people to think they need to follow him and buy his products because he is their "only" guiding light. His primary modus seems to have become creating more viewers for his commercial web site so he can sell them products. (FYI: Mercola consulted with one of my best oldest friends, one of the world's authorities on vitamin D to learn enough to make his recommendations on vitamin D.) Ray Sahelian is right. Mercola is wrong. Note that Sahelian is not a salesman. He's a researcher."

He is referring to this article by Sahelian on Mercola's bogus claims about magnesium stearate:

http://www.raysahelian.com/magnesiumstearate.html

Another example of Mercola's contradictions is where he states:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/06/23/whole-food-supplement-dangers.aspx

"However, previous research has shown that stearic acid suppresses T cells—your natural killer cells—which are a key component of your immune systemi. According to that study, stearic acid causes the collapse of cell membrane integrity—an effect that was found to be time and dose dependent—which, ultimately, can destroy cell function."

So why is Mercola promoting beef and dairy for the Weston Price Foundation when these are rich sources of stearic acid? In fact, Mercola especially promotes grass fed beef, which studies have shown to be even higher in stearic acid than grain fed beef.

Why does he claim mother's milk is healthy when it also contains stearic acid?

In fact, in this link Mercola is promoting the benefits of stearic acid that he was reporting in other articles is dangerous:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/25/saturated-fat-is-not-the-cause-of-heart-disease.aspx

Then there is the fact that Mercola uses calcium stearate in his joint formula:

http://products.mercola.com/joint-support/

His flip-flopping makes it appear that he simply agrees with whatever is going to make him money.

I heard the same about titanium dioxide.

I have never seen any evidence that titanium dioxide is dangerous. In fact, as widespread as it is used in products like foods, toothpaste, sunscreens and pills if it were very toxic then I would expect widespread poisoning, which we clearly have not seen.

RE: Magnesium Stearate - Anderson - 07-30-2012 10:03 AM

Speaking of toothpaste. Is fluoride really bad for the thyroid? I heard the same about chlorine.

RE: Magnesium Stearate - James - 07-30-2012 07:04 PM

(07-30-2012 10:03 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Speaking of toothpaste. Is fluoride really bad for the thyroid? I heard the same about chlorine.

Both fluoride and chlorine will displace iodine, which can suppress the thyroid. But there is more to the story.

We do require small amounts of fluoride to help maintain bones and teeth. But there are different fluoride compounds just like there is different forms of calcium, different forms of magnesium, etc. Some forms of minerals can be toxic to the body as where others are beneficial. Take for example chromium. There is hexavalent chromium, which is highly toxic to the body and trivalent chromium, which is essential to the body. Fluoride is no different. The fluoride added to toothpaste and added to water is sodium fluoride that is a toxic waste product of the aluminum and fertilizer industries. Disposing of toxic waste is extremely expensive so these industries came up with a great marketing gimmick. Convince people that their toxic waste has benefits just like naturally occurring fluoride so they can sell it off rather than have to pay through the teeth to dispose of it. Tea (Camellia sinensis) on the other hand contains calcium fluoride, which is not as dangerous as sodium fluoride. Although any form of fluoride can be dangerous in excess amounts as can anything. Too much water is toxic, too much calcium is toxic, too much sodium is toxic, etc. Even too much iodine, which is antagonized by fluoride and chlorine, is extremely toxic in excess as we keep seeing.

As stated chlorine will displace iodine as well, which like fluoride, can also help prevent iodine poisoning. But chlorine has many more beneficial functions in the body such as maintaining osmotic balance, formation of stomach acid, proper muscle function, blood pressure regulation, its used by the immune system to help fight infections, etc. In short, we cannot survive without chlorine.

But the scaremongering is primarily being perpetrated by the sellers of iodine to help boost their sales. They figure that if they can convince people that fluoride and chlorine are evil and that fluoride displaces these "evil" halogens that it will boost their sales. Funny thing is that they keep promoting salt flushes as part of the iodine regime. But salt flushes push out the iodine they are selling people and telling them they need massive doses of. This is why the salt flushes help to treat the iodine poisoning from the excessive doses they are telling people to take. The real irony here though is that the salt flushes do this because of the chloride, and in cases of sea salt the fluoride and bromide as well, that they are claiming is dangerous. So they are telling people to ingest poisonous amounts of iodine then to do salt flushes full of what they are calling toxic halogens. Seems like their goal is to poison people all the way around but keep them in a profitable cycle of poisoning them with poisonous levels of iodine them flushing it out with the salt so they can ingest more poisonous levels of iodine..........

RE: Magnesium Stearate - Anderson - 07-30-2012 10:59 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts and knowledge!

Would the bad fluoride and chloride you talked about be the same that is put in water?

You have quite a disposition! Do you ever sleep? Smile

RE: Magnesium Stearate - James - 07-31-2012 06:07 AM

(07-30-2012 10:59 PM)Anderson Wrote:  Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts and knowledge!

Would the bad fluoride and chloride you talked about the same that is put in water?

Yes, I would not advise consume either the fluoride or chlorine added to the water supply.

Some places can have naturally high levels of fluoride in the water. I have some relative up North for example that live in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere. The water there is naturally very high in fluoride and fluorosis is a big problem there.

We can get natural fluoride from plants and most of the chloride our body's use will come from salt consumption.

You have quite a disposition! Do you ever sleep? Smile

Not as much as I would like to. At least lately. I am helping take care of a friend right now. Nobody in the family is strong enough to pick him up if he falls, to move him from the bed to chair and back on his weak days or to pull him up in the bed. So I have been hanging out to help, but they come knock on the door to get me whenever they need help, which is often when I am sleeping. So lately it has been really scattered sleep and kind of dragging throughout the day. He is making a lot of progress though in getting stronger. So they are calling less on me and I am getting caught up a little on sleep. In fact, the family will be waking up here shortly so I am going to be going to sleep here shortly.

RE: Magnesium Stearate - Anderson - 08-02-2012 04:25 AM

Sorry to hear that. At least your friend can benefit from your knowledge.

RE: Magnesium Stearate - James - 08-02-2012 07:00 PM

(08-02-2012 04:25 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Sorry to hear that. At least your friend can benefit from your knowledge.

Thanks, he is doing a lot better but the progress has been very slow.

Those who keep falsely claiming that iodine is safe and the more the better need to learn some real facts about iodine.

RE: Magnesium Stearate - Anderson - 08-02-2012 10:53 PM

Did he do anything with iodine?

I usually have half a tea spoon in my smothie everyday. I heard is has some iodine. Is it safe?

RE: Magnesium Stearate - James - 08-03-2012 01:43 AM

(08-02-2012 10:53 PM)Anderson Wrote:  Did he do anything with iodine?

He was given an iodine based drug that threw him in to hyperthyroidism. The thyroid compensates by shutting down to protect itself from the poisonous levels of iodine. The doctor agreed the drug was causing the side effects he was experiencing and cut the drug in half. That threw him in to a severe case of hypothyroidism with severe symptoms. The drug has such a long half life that it takes around 9 months to get it back out of the system. So he is now on the Thyroid Tonic to utilize some of the excess iodine more efficiently to help with the hypothyroidism. It is working, but it is still going to take a while for him to get completely back to normal.

I have another friend who was taking iodine supplements and developed hypothyroidism from taking too much of it. I have her lab results right here with me. Her iodine levels are way above normal and her thyroid hormones severely suppressed.

What is funny is that the iodine sellers claim that excess iodine will not cause hypothyroidism, which is not true, but they are also quick to point out that excess iodine treats hyperthyroidism, which is true. The excess iodine treats hyperthyroidism by shutting down the thyroid as the thyroid shuts down to protect the body. In response to the poisonous levels of iodine the thyroid can shut down enough to cause hypothyroidism. Therefore the use of excessive levels of iodine will treat hyperthyroidism, but causing hypothyroidism in the process in many cases. The higher the iodine level the more the thyroid can shut down.

I usually have half a tea spoon in my smothie everyday. I heard is has some iodine. Is it safe?

The body does need some iodine. The problem is when people take excessive levels of iodine. In this case the person can develop iodism (iodine poisoning), which can result in various problems including hyper or hypothyroidism, goiter, weakness, mental confusion, iodine induced acne, metallic taste, increased body odor from the expulsion of iodine through the skin, etc.

Some people who have no clue about iodine or its dangers in excessive doses are promoting that people should take 100-150mg or more of iodine daily. This is well above the toxic level of iodine. But when people complain about side effects from the excess iodine they try to blame it on "detox", usually a bromide detox even though in reality the side effects are from the iodine itself. So they recommend salt flushes, which contain chloride they claim is a toxic halogen and pushes the excess iodine out of the system. Then they tell people to make more toxic levels of iodine. The whole thing is really ridiculous. If people are going to take iodine they should use some common sense in doing so and take reasonable levels of iodine, not poisonous levels such as the 100+mg some people are dangerously suggesting.

Also keep in mind that there are different types of iodine. Elemental iodine, such as that in Lugol's and some other products is a lot more toxic than iodides. Products such as the pharmaceutical drug Lugol's contains a combination of both iodide and iodine. But the safest way to get iodine is from natural sources such as seaweeds. If the person does not want to use a seaweed source then small amounts of potassium iodide without any elemental iodine would be my next choice.