MedCapsules Forum
IGF-1 - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: IGF-1 (/showthread.php?tid=3231)

IGF-1 - JC73 - 07-28-2012 06:44 AM

I got this from another forum.What do you think about this theory?

"I just made a new discovery, and the following is just my opinion.

I learned that the body can become resistant to the effects of IGF-1 (insulin growth factor #1) just like it can to insulin. Both insulin and IGF-1 have beneficial roles in the body, for instance both hormones are the main anabolic factors in bone and muscle, both hormones increase nitric-oxide production from the endothelial-cells, both hormones help transport nutrients into the cells, both hormones regenerate virtually all tissues in the body including hair follicles [1-2].

From what I just learned, the body becomes resistant to the effects of IGF-1 when exposed to free fatty acids (FFA’s), just like it does with insulin [3]. Since IGF-1 is the main hormone that promotes growth and regeneration and inhibits cell breakdown (apoptosis) in the body… when the body becomes resistant to IGF-1, the body literally falls apart; IGF-1 can no longer display its benefits (muscle growth, bone growth, cellular regeneration, vasodilaton, blood-sugar regulation, etc.).

One of the main signs of diabetes is impaired wound healing. Researchers think that IGF-1 resistance could play a huge factor in this regard. Without proper IGF-1 signaling, the skin-cells cannot regenerate. Osteoporosis is now looked at the same way. Since insulin and IGF-1 are the main hormones that build bone mass, IGF-1 resistance could lead to osteoporosis. And impaired IGF-1 signaling within the endothelium could lead to atherosclerosis [4].

Emerging research now is looking at the role of IGF-1 resistance in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease. Since insulin and IGF-1 help glucose enter the brain (to be used as energy). Reduced insulin and IGF-1 signaling in the brain would lead to less uptake of glucose (into the brain). Without glucose, the brain literally starves to death.

In regards to cancer, high FFA’s induce IGF-1 resistance on the cellular level, thus causing an increased amount of free-IGF-1 circulating in the blood. This increased amount of IGF-1 in the blood can be used by cancer cells, which do not become resistant to the actions of IGF-1. The body becomes deprived of the benefits of IGF-1 (and insulin), while the tumors take full advantage of these powerful anabolic hormones in order to grow and multiply.

In summery, high levels of FFA’s induced by a high-fat and/or a high-sugar diet causes the body to become resistant to the effects of IGF-1 and promotes unregulated growth. Reduced IGF-1 signaling in normal tissue leads to Alzheimer’s disease, visceral-fat accumulation, osteoporosis, atherosclerosis, muscle wasting, diabetes, impaired wound healing, hair loss and accelerated aging. Since the body rejects the IGF-1, it can be used freely by cancer cells to grow and multiply, confirming the strong link between free-IGF-1 and numerous cancers.

[1] J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003 Aug;49(2):229-33. The expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 in follicular dermal papillae correlates with therapeutic efficacy of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia. Tang L, Bernardo O, Bolduc C.

[2] Dermatol Online J. 1999 Nov;5(2):1. Insulin-like growth factor 1 and hair growth. Su HY, Hickford JG, Bickerstaffe R.

[3] Endocrinology. 2009 Oct;150(10):4575-82. Vascular insulin-like growth factor-I resistance and diet-induced obesity. Imrie H, Abbas A, Viswambharan H.

[4] Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2010 Dec;14(12):1333-42. The role of IGF-1 resistance in obesity and type 2 diabetes-mellitus-related insulin resistance and vascular disease. Gatenby VK, Kearney MT."

RE: IGF-1 - Anderson - 07-28-2012 07:16 AM

If I'm not mistaken insulin is not required for the brain to use glucose.

RE: IGF-1 - James - 07-30-2012 10:07 PM

(07-28-2012 06:44 AM)JC73 Wrote:  I got this from another forum.What do you think about this theory?

"I just made a new discovery, and the following is just my opinion.

I learned that the body can become resistant to the effects of IGF-1 (insulin growth factor #1) just like it can to insulin. Both insulin and IGF-1 have beneficial roles in the body, for instance both hormones are the main anabolic factors in bone and muscle, both hormones increase nitric-oxide production from the endothelial-cells, both hormones help transport nutrients into the cells, both hormones regenerate virtually all tissues in the body including hair follicles [1-2].

From what I just learned, the body becomes resistant to the effects of IGF-1 when exposed to free fatty acids (FFA’s), just like it does with insulin [3]. Since IGF-1 is the main hormone that promotes growth and regeneration and inhibits cell breakdown (apoptosis) in the body… when the body becomes resistant to IGF-1, the body literally falls apart; IGF-1 can no longer display its benefits (muscle growth, bone growth, cellular regeneration, vasodilaton, blood-sugar regulation, etc.).

One of the main signs of diabetes is impaired wound healing. Researchers think that IGF-1 resistance could play a huge factor in this regard. Without proper IGF-1 signaling, the skin-cells cannot regenerate. Osteoporosis is now looked at the same way. Since insulin and IGF-1 are the main hormones that build bone mass, IGF-1 resistance could lead to osteoporosis. And impaired IGF-1 signaling within the endothelium could lead to atherosclerosis [4].

Emerging research now is looking at the role of IGF-1 resistance in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease. Since insulin and IGF-1 help glucose enter the brain (to be used as energy). Reduced insulin and IGF-1 signaling in the brain would lead to less uptake of glucose (into the brain). Without glucose, the brain literally starves to death.

In regards to cancer, high FFA’s induce IGF-1 resistance on the cellular level, thus causing an increased amount of free-IGF-1 circulating in the blood. This increased amount of IGF-1 in the blood can be used by cancer cells, which do not become resistant to the actions of IGF-1. The body becomes deprived of the benefits of IGF-1 (and insulin), while the tumors take full advantage of these powerful anabolic hormones in order to grow and multiply.

In summery, high levels of FFA’s induced by a high-fat and/or a high-sugar diet causes the body to become resistant to the effects of IGF-1 and promotes unregulated growth. Reduced IGF-1 signaling in normal tissue leads to Alzheimer’s disease, visceral-fat accumulation, osteoporosis, atherosclerosis, muscle wasting, diabetes, impaired wound healing, hair loss and accelerated aging. Since the body rejects the IGF-1, it can be used freely by cancer cells to grow and multiply, confirming the strong link between free-IGF-1 and numerous cancers.

[1] J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003 Aug;49(2):229-33. The expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 in follicular dermal papillae correlates with therapeutic efficacy of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia. Tang L, Bernardo O, Bolduc C.

[2] Dermatol Online J. 1999 Nov;5(2):1. Insulin-like growth factor 1 and hair growth. Su HY, Hickford JG, Bickerstaffe R.

[3] Endocrinology. 2009 Oct;150(10):4575-82. Vascular insulin-like growth factor-I resistance and diet-induced obesity. Imrie H, Abbas A, Viswambharan H.

[4] Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2010 Dec;14(12):1333-42. The role of IGF-1 resistance in obesity and type 2 diabetes-mellitus-related insulin resistance and vascular disease. Gatenby VK, Kearney MT."

There are a number of studies backing their theory such as this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19608653

Although, in my opinion they are overlooking another important factor. In the early stages of type 2 diabetes the insulin resistance actually leads to an over production of insulin. Insulin dilates blood vessels in low concentrations, but in high concentrations insulin strongly constricts blood vessels. This results in the "insulin damage" seen in diabetes that manifests as retinopathy, kidney failure, gangrene and accounts for some of the heart disease.

RE: IGF-1 - James - 07-31-2012 02:15 AM

(07-28-2012 07:16 AM)Anderson Wrote:  If I'm not mistaken insulin is not required for the brain to use glucose.

Insulin does play a major role in glucose uptake in the brain:

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/51/12/3384.full

RE: IGF-1 - JC73 - 07-31-2012 06:17 AM

(07-31-2012 02:15 AM)James Wrote:  
(07-28-2012 07:16 AM)Anderson Wrote:  If I'm not mistaken insulin is not required for the brain to use glucose.

Is there any harm in fasting insulin level being too low?Mine was 2.0 last check.

RE: IGF-1 - James - 07-31-2012 06:46 AM

(07-31-2012 06:17 AM)JC73 Wrote:  
(07-31-2012 02:15 AM)James Wrote:  

Is there any harm in fasting insulin level being too low?Mine was 2.0 last check.

Low fasting insulin, which is below 5, can occur from a few things. These include diabetes, pancreatitis or pituitary dysfunction. Other tests are really required to narrow things down more if any of these are an issue.