MedCapsules Forum
Weak Peristalsis - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: Weak Peristalsis (/showthread.php?tid=3162)

Weak Peristalsis - M88 - 07-27-2012 01:47 AM

Hello James

I am a 23 year old male, 75 kgs, 1.83 height, diagnosed with HCV 3 years ago. Main concern right now is that i have been using Senna,Dulcolax etc for almost 3 years to empty my bowels, without knowing that it could weaken the peristaltic movement of my intestines (unfortunately). I have quit using them but i believe that the muscles are so weak that i have developed toxic megacolon since the sigmoid area is always tender and feces just pile up. There is no bowel movement unless i take huge amounts of freshly squeezed lemon juice (1L) with lots of water, carob, green tea , raw honey etc just to empty a little bit but never enough to empty completely as i should. I need guidance to retrain my bowels and restore peristaltic movements as fast as possible because i feel like i am being constantly poisoned , i will do whatever it takes as long as i can have my bowels working again normally ! Please help !

Thank you, for your time...

RE: Weak Peristalsis - James - 07-29-2012 04:13 PM

(07-27-2012 01:47 AM)M88 Wrote:  Hello James

I am a 23 year old male, 75 kgs, 1.83 height, diagnosed with HCV 3 years ago. Main concern right now is that i have been using Senna,Dulcolax etc for almost 3 years to empty my bowels, without knowing that it could weaken the peristaltic movement of my intestines (unfortunately). I have quit using them but i believe that the muscles are so weak that i have developed toxic megacolon since the sigmoid area is always tender and feces just pile up. There is no bowel movement unless i take huge amounts of freshly squeezed lemon juice (1L) with lots of water, carob, green tea , raw honey etc just to empty a little bit but never enough to empty completely as i should. I need guidance to retrain my bowels and restore peristaltic movements as fast as possible because i feel like i am being constantly poisoned , i will do whatever it takes as long as i can have my bowels working again normally ! Please help !

This is why I avoid herbs such as senna, cascara sagrada, rhubarb root and the aloe concentrates These are all rich in stimulant laxative anthraquinones, which weaken the intestinal muscles with prolonged use.

I have a few recommendations for you.

First is try the herb mixture triphala first, which is a mild stimulant laxative. It also has other benefits such as immune stimulation and liver cleansing.

Secondly would be consuming soft fibers to feed the flora. The flora produce serotonin that helps regulate intestinal peristalsis. The flora also help with detoxification by directly breaking down toxic metabolites.

I prefer rice bran and oat because they are soft fibers, do not cause bloating like psyllium, are good sources of B vitamins and silica. The silica along with the triphala will help in healing the tissues as well.

Vegetable gums such as guar gum, konjac gum, xanthan gum etc. are also good for feeding the flora, but do not provide the nutrition of the brans. On the other hand the vegetable gums expand acting as bulking laxatives and actually are more effective than brans in stimulating the flora.

Consuming more cultured foods such as kefirs, sauerkraut, miso, tempeh, etc. will also help restore the flora and peristalsis.

As for the HCV I have a write up for you to read:

http://medcapsules.com/info/Hepatitis.htm

Thank you, for your time...

You are welcome.