MedCapsules Forum
Disease risk video. - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: Disease risk video. (/showthread.php?tid=3161)

Disease risk video. - grassman422 - 07-27-2012 01:40 AM

http://youtu.be/30gEiweaAVQ

Hey HV could you give us a breakdown on the info. presented in this vid.Thanks for your time.Jeff.

RE: Disease risk video. - James - 07-29-2012 03:42 AM

(07-27-2012 01:40 AM)grassman422 Wrote:  http://youtu.be/30gEiweaAVQ

Hey HV could you give us a breakdown on the info. presented in this vid.Thanks for your time.Jeff.

The video is nearly an hour long, which I won't have time to sit and watch. I am far enough behind on things as it is. If you want to bring up specific points in the video I can address those.

RE: Disease risk video. - vills - 07-30-2012 06:33 PM

I've quickly gone through it and it's advocating vegetable/fruit based diet for improving diet. It's a known fact that plant based diets are great for detoxing which is why people feel great as the immune system kicks in after riding it of all toxins and balancing out the body's immune system and detox functions, but the video doesn't discuss the issues involved with avoiding the nutrients in meat in the long run.

RE: Disease risk video. - grassman422 - 07-30-2012 07:49 PM

(07-30-2012 06:33 PM)vills Wrote:  I've quickly gone through it and it's advocating vegetable/fruit based diet for improving diet. It's a known fact that plant based diets are great for detoxing which is why people feel great as the immune system kicks in after riding it of all toxins and balancing out the body's immune system and detox functions, but the video doesn't discuss the issues involved with avoiding the nutrients in meat in the long run.

Yes Dr. Greger`s is a plant based Dr. that is a vegan activist.That is why I was wondering about some of the information in the video.Vegans tend to be a bit biased and are willing to spin info.

The bacteria in meat causing endotoxemia and its relation to coronary disease was one of the issues I was interested in.

I was also wondering about the blood and apoptosis from different diets.I found the study materials of interest.But wonder if the info. is as good as it sounds.

RE: Disease risk video. - vills - 07-31-2012 05:36 PM

Yep, You'll definitely James' advice on that bit.

RE: Disease risk video. - James - 08-01-2012 01:49 AM

(07-30-2012 06:33 PM)vills Wrote:  I've quickly gone through it and it's advocating vegetable/fruit based diet for improving diet. It's a known fact that plant based diets are great for detoxing which is why people feel great as the immune system kicks in after riding it of all toxins and balancing out the body's immune system and detox functions, but the video doesn't discuss the issues involved with avoiding the nutrients in meat in the long run.

First thing is that I do not advocate any type of strict diet. Any strict diet has its limitations. For example, a strict vegetarian diet can lead to B12 deficiency anemia since true B12 is not provided by plants. The liver stores an average 2-6 year supply of B12 so the deficiencies do not show up for years since the stores have to be used up before illness begins.

As far as toxins, plants can contain toxins as well. For example, oxalic acid in some plants. Plants can also pick up heavy metals from the soil. And some people consider the phytoestrogens found in all plants we consume to be toxins. I have also heard people claim that the protease inhibitors and phytic acid in some plants to be toxins as well.

This is why there is so many different ideas on diets. Everyone has their own perspectives and there is no real consensus on what constitutes a healthy and effective diet.

RE: Disease risk video. - grassman422 - 08-01-2012 03:23 AM

(08-01-2012 01:49 AM)James Wrote:  

First thing is that I do not advocate any type of strict diet. Any strict diet has its limitations. For example, a strict vegetarian diet can lead to B12 deficiency anemia since true B12 is not provided by plants. The liver stores an average 2-6 year supply of B12 so the deficiencies do not show up for years since the stores have to be used up before illness begins.

As far as toxins, plants can contain toxins as well. For example, oxalic acid in some plants. Plants can also pick up heavy metals from the soil. And some people consider the phytoestrogens found in all plants we consume to be toxins. I have also heard people claim that the protease inhibitors and phytic acid in some plants to be toxins as well.

This is why there is so many different ideas on diets. Everyone has their own perspectives and there is no real consensus on what constitutes a healthy and effective diet.

I was wondering if the endotoxcemia is causing the inflamation that feeds coronary disease?If it is so this would be valuable information to say the least.

They also suggested IGF-1 was reduced by a plant based diet.Along with improved cancer cell clearance.

RE: Disease risk video. - James - 08-01-2012 06:47 PM

(07-30-2012 07:49 PM)grassman422 Wrote:  

Yes Dr. Greger`s is a plant based Dr. that is a vegan activist.That is why I was wondering about some of the information in the video.Vegans tend to be a bit biased and are willing to spin info.

The bacteria in meat causing endotoxemia and its relation to coronary disease was one of the issues I was interested in.

I was also wondering about the blood and apoptosis from different diets.I found the study materials of interest.But wonder if the info. is as good as it sounds.

Bacteria has been implicate in some cases of atherosclerosis, but not all. And I have not seen any evidence that the bacteria comes from meat. If I recall right the bacteria was a form of chlamydia bacteria, which I doubt the particular strain infects cattle.

Also keep in mind that bacterial infection is only one cause of atherosclerosis. There are other things that can damage and inflame the arteries.

RE: Disease risk video. - James - 08-01-2012 07:10 PM

[/quote]

I was wondering if the endotoxcemia is causing the inflamation that feeds coronary disease?If it is so this would be valuable information to say the least.

Again there are many reasons for arterial inflammation. Xanthine oxidase from cow's milk, elevated homocysteine from hypomethylation or hypothyroidism, insulin damage from diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, etc.

They also suggested IGF-1 was reduced by a plant based diet.Along with improved cancer cell clearance.

I suppose their claim about lowering IGF-1 is in response to the fact that IGF-1 has been shown to increase cancer growth since IGF-1 also has numerous benefits to the body.

The claim of "improved cancer cell clearance" does have some merit. Plants contain phytoestrogens that help fight cancer by antagonizing true estrogens and even stronger xenoestrogens. Plants can also provide other cancer fighting compounds such as antioxidants, phytic acid, anti-inflammatories, etc. But cancer is still a lot more complex that this and a vegetarian diet is not the answer to cancer. Even vegetarians get cancer. Look at Steve Jobs from Apple who died of pancreatic cancer despite being vegetarian.

[/quote]

RE: Disease risk video. - grassman422 - 08-01-2012 09:35 PM

Again there are many reasons for arterial inflammation. Xanthine oxidase from cow's milk, elevated homocysteine from hypomethylation or hypothyroidism, insulin damage from diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, etc.

I suppose their claim about lowering IGF-1 is in response to the fact that IGF-1 has been shown to increase cancer growth since IGF-1 also has numerous benefits to the body.

The claim of "improved cancer cell clearance" does have some merit. Plants contain phytoestrogens that help fight cancer by antagonizing true estrogens and even stronger xenoestrogens. Plants can also provide other cancer fighting compounds such as antioxidants, phytic acid, anti-inflammatories, etc. But cancer is still a lot more complex that this and a vegetarian diet is not the answer to cancer. Even vegetarians get cancer. Look at Steve Jobs from Apple who died of pancreatic cancer despite being vegetarian.

[/quote]

[/quote]
The Leaky Gut Theory of Why Animal Products Cause Inflammation

A single meal of meats, eggs, and dairy can cause a spike of inflammation within hours that can stiffen one’s arteries. Originally this was thought to be the result of saturated animal fat causing our gut lining to leak bacterial toxins into our blood stream leading to endotoxemia.

I believe this theory is what the vid was referring to.So it appears to be a breakdown of the intestinal barrier.I am under the impression that this is confirmed using mice.

And then came this theory.The endotoxemia (bacterial toxins in the bloodstream) that follows a meal of animal products and results in inflammation and stiffened arteries may come from the food itself rather than from one’s own gut bacteria.

The Exogenous Endotoxin Theory http://youtu.be/ttCUWNU9wp0

RE: Disease risk video. - James - 08-03-2012 03:07 AM

[/quote]

A single meal of meats, eggs, and dairy can cause a spike of inflammation within hours that can stiffen one’s arteries. Originally this was thought to be the result of saturated animal fat causing our gut lining to leak bacterial toxins into our blood stream leading to endotoxemia.

I believe this theory is what the vid was referring to.So it appears to be a breakdown of the intestinal barrier.I am under the impression that this is confirmed using mice.

And then came this theory.The endotoxemia (bacterial toxins in the bloodstream) that follows a meal of animal products and results in inflammation and stiffened arteries may come from the food itself rather than from one’s own gut bacteria.

I think there is still a lot they are overlooking. For example, animal proteins can be high in the omega 6 fatty acid arachidonic acid that promotes inflammation. On the other hand some animal proteins can be anti-inflammatory. Look at deep, cold water fish that provide higher levels of anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids.

Then there are other factors that control inflammation in the body including adrenal function, thyroid function, the intestinal flora, etc.

[/quote]

RE: Disease risk video. - grassman422 - 08-03-2012 01:10 PM

I think there is still a lot they are overlooking. For example, animal proteins can be high in the omega 6 fatty acid arachidonic acid that promotes inflammation. On the other hand some animal proteins can be anti-inflammatory. Look at deep, cold water fish that provide higher levels of anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids.

Then there are other factors that control inflammation in the body including adrenal function, thyroid function, the intestinal flora, etc.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Thank`s James Smile.