MedCapsules Forum
Low Basal Temperature - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: Low Basal Temperature (/showthread.php?tid=2975)

Low Basal Temperature - Nancy - 07-10-2012 08:44 AM

Hi James,
I am a little curious about my basal temperature. I just measure it this morning and it's 95F and I know that you always associated low body temperature with hypothyroidism. Though, looking through the symptoms, I am not sure that I have it.

Weight gain: only when I eat a whole bunch, especially sweet. I am 5'4 and weigh 122lbs.
Goiter : No.
Dry and thick skin: No
Thickened nails: No
Falling hair (especially in women): No
Low energy: I do not have a ton but I do not feel tired.
Slow heart rate: in the 60's. My blood pressure is around 110/70.
Memory problems:
Cold intolerance: No
Cold hands and feet: No
Constipation: No
Low sex drive: Yes, but I thought it's related to age (53) and spiritual practice.
Memory problems: Ah, yes, but I always attribute it to aging.
Depression: Debatable
Infertility: No
Heavy menstruation: I am only spotting every few months.

My body temperature has always been cool, except my feet and my hands that are warm most of the time. I do not sweat easily and if I do, I cool down and dry out very fast. I can withstand the cold and heat more than most of my friends. I do not have hot flash.
I just read a thread that you just posted regarding exercice and hypothyroidism. I am not athletic. I don't do streneous exercise, just enough to stay fit so I do not feel that I fall into the athletic category.

My diet is vegetarian.

I have low basal temperature and do not fall in the category of being athletic, nor having symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Questions:
1. Do you think that it is possible to have low basal temperature and not having hypothyroidism and still be healthy?
2. If not, what should I watch for?

I have not been to the doctor for 7 years and have not taken any meds.

Your comment is very much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Nancy

RE: Low Basal Temperature - James - 07-10-2012 10:36 PM

(07-10-2012 08:44 AM)Nancy Wrote:  Hi James,
I am a little curious about my basal temperature. I just measure it this morning and it's 95F and I know that you always associated low body temperature with hypothyroidism. Though, looking through the symptoms, I am not sure that I have it.

Weight gain: only when I eat a whole bunch, especially sweet. I am 5'4 and weigh 122lbs.
Memory problems:
Low sex drive: Yes, but I thought it's related to age (53) and spiritual practice.

My body temperature has always been cool, except my feet and my hands that are warm most of the time. I do not sweat easily and if I do, I cool down and dry out very fast. I can withstand the cold and heat more than most of my friends. I do not have hot flash.
I just read a thread that you just posted regarding exercice and hypothyroidism. I am not athletic. I don't do streneous exercise, just enough to stay fit so I do not feel that I fall into the athletic category.

My diet is vegetarian.

I have low basal temperature and do not fall in the category of being athletic, nor having symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Questions:
1. Do you think that it is possible to have low basal temperature and not having hypothyroidism and still be healthy?

Thanks again,

Nancy

Usually low body temperature is a sign of hypothyroidism, but I generally tell people to take the low body temperature in conjunction with symptoms. There are several other things that can cause a low body temperature. Anemia is one, but people usually catch this when they have their labs done for thyroid since other labs are almost always done at the same time. Chronic illness can also induce this from both inactivity and lack of nutritional intake to maintain body temperature. The later is mostly seen though is things like late stage cancers or in some eating disorders. Hypothalamic damage can also interfere with the body's ability to regulate its temperature properly. And finally there is still the possibility of being hypothyroid.

There are other conditions that are sometimes associated with low body temperature such as liver dysfunction and hormones. But these all go back to affecting the thyroid function.

Some people can be hypothyroid yet asymptomatic for the most part. For example, when I mentioned my exercise induced hypothyroidism. The only symptoms I exhibited were the extremely low body temperature, pulse and blood pressure. Otherwise I had no typical hypothyroid symptoms.

If you were slightly hypothyroid you may not exhibit many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. The one you do exhibit is the pulse towards the low end of normal.

Since you are in the age range for menopause you would likely be going through hormonal changes that can lead to hypothyroidism as well. So overall I would say you most likely have a borderline to slightly low thyroid.

RE: Low Basal Temperature - Nancy - 07-11-2012 09:52 PM

(07-10-2012 10:36 PM)James Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 08:44 AM)Nancy Wrote:  Hi James,

Memory problems:

My diet is vegetarian.

Questions:

Thanks again,

Nancy

Usually low body temperature is a sign of hypothyroidism, but I generally tell people to take the low body temperature in conjunction with symptoms. There are several other things that can cause a low body temperature. Anemia is one, but people usually catch this when they have their labs done for thyroid since other labs are almost always done at the same time. Chronic illness can also induce this from both inactivity and lack of nutritional intake to maintain body temperature. The later is mostly seen though is things like late stage cancers or in some eating disorders. Hypothalamic damage can also interfere with the body's ability to regulate its temperature properly. And finally there is still the possibility of being hypothyroid.

There are other conditions that are sometimes associated with low body temperature such as liver dysfunction and hormones. But these all go back to affecting the thyroid function.

Some people can be hypothyroid yet asymptomatic for the most part. For example, when I mentioned my exercise induced hypothyroidism. The only symptoms I exhibited were the extremely low body temperature, pulse and blood pressure. Otherwise I had no typical hypothyroid symptoms.

If you were slightly hypothyroid you may not exhibit many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. The one you do exhibit is the pulse towards the low end of normal.

Since you are in the age range for menopause you would likely be going through hormonal changes that can lead to hypothyroidism as well. So overall I would say you most likely have a borderline to slightly low thyroid.

Hi James,
Thank you for the analysis/diagnosis...
Anemia is one, but people usually catch this when they have their labs done for thyroid since other labs are almost always done at the same time. I have not had a blood test for 7 years but do not feel like I am anemic.
Chronic illness can also induce this from both inactivity and lack of nutritional intake to maintain body temperature.
I don't have any chronic illness and nutrition wise, I think I eat OK.
The later is mostly seen though is things like late stage cancers or in some eating disorders.
I don't think that I have cancer now.Big Grin
Hypothalamic damage can also interfere with the body's ability to regulate its temperature properly.
I think my body ability to adapt with the high and low temperature is not bad.
And finally there is still the possibility of being hypothyroid.
I have some of your thyroid tonic and will start taking them.

I read the thread you wrote about coffee and the adrenal. I am not sure if I fall in the category of crashed adrenal or not; I can drink coffee and if it's time to go to sleep, I can always sleep. It does help me to stay alert but there is something about being horizontal, it easily puts me to sleep. Looking back, there were a few times that I felt burn out and after a while, my strategie to deal with it was to take things easy. I tell myself that I do not have to do everything or get everything right. Pick the ones that are the most important and let the rest go. Nothing means anything when we are in the stage of burning out and our health is jeopardy.
Considering how I react to coffee, do you think that my adrenals need assistance?

Thanks,
Nancy

RE: Low Basal Temperature - James - 07-12-2012 11:11 PM

[/quote]

Hi James,
Anemia is one, but people usually catch this when they have their labs done for thyroid since other labs are almost always done at the same time. I have not had a blood test for 7 years but do not feel like I am anemic.
Chronic illness can also induce this from both inactivity and lack of nutritional intake to maintain body temperature.
The later is mostly seen though is things like late stage cancers or in some eating disorders.
Hypothalamic damage can also interfere with the body's ability to regulate its temperature properly.

I read the thread you wrote about coffee and the adrenal. I am not sure if I fall in the category of crashed adrenal or not; I can drink coffee and if it's time to go to sleep, I can always sleep. It does help me to stay alert but there is something about being horizontal, it easily puts me to sleep. Looking back, there were a few times that I felt burn out and after a while, my strategie to deal with it was to take things easy. I tell myself that I do not have to do everything or get everything right. Pick the ones that are the most important and let the rest go. Nothing means anything when we are in the stage of burning out and our health is jeopardy.
Considering how I react to coffee, do you think that my adrenals need assistance?

Thanks,
Nancy

Your adrenals could be an issue if you can sleep after ingesting caffeine. Caffeine normally keeps people awake through several mechanisms. One is through an increase of epinephrine and cortisol. Epinephrine is a strong stimulant. Cortisol makes us more alert and raises blood sugar to help provide extra energy. Caffeine also blocks our adenosine receptors. When the adenosine receptors are stimulated they help to calm us. By blocking those receptors prevents the adenosine from having a calming effect.

When the adrenals are crashed they do not release enough epinephrine and cortisol to stimulate us and to keep us alert. The caffeine stimulates the release of what little epinephrine and cortisol are available leading to a strong rebound fatigue and the person can fall right asleep.

Do you have other symptoms of adrenal fatigue such as allergies, increased inflammation, don't handle stress well, blood sugar dropping when you don't eat for a while, etc?

[/quote]

RE: Low Basal Temperature - Nancy - 07-13-2012 01:00 AM

Hi James,

Thanks,
Nancy

Your adrenals could be an issue if you can sleep after ingesting caffeine. Caffeine normally keeps people awake through several mechanisms. One is through an increase of epinephrine and cortisol. Epinephrine is a strong stimulant. Cortisol makes us more alert and raises blood sugar to help provide extra energy. Caffeine also blocks our adenosine receptors. When the adenosine receptors are stimulated they help to calm us. By blocking those receptors prevents the adenosine from having a calming effect.

When the adrenals are crashed they do not release enough epinephrine and cortisol to stimulate us and to keep us alert. The caffeine stimulates the release of what little epinephrine and cortisol are available leading to a strong rebound fatigue and the person can fall right asleep.

Do you have other symptoms of adrenal fatigue such as allergies, increased inflammation, don't handle stress well, blood sugar dropping when you don't eat for a while, etc?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have no allergies and no inflammation. I can go a very long time without eating and feel fine except being hungry. I could skip breakfast easily and go pass lunch time without being dizzy.
The only thing that I am sensitive to is stress and the way I deal with it is not stressing myself. I take things as they come and try not to over accomplish.
I don't drink coffee but once a while, this could be less than once a year, I drink a coffee with concentrated milk with a lot of ice; it's almost like a desert. I don't drink much tea, if any, it's usually herb tea.

But I too suspect that my adrenals might need some help. Last year, I had this problem while driving on freeway. I felt like I was about to pass out. First, I thought, may be I was anemic but I only felt this way when I drove on freeway. At other time, I feel just fine. I could exercise for couple hours and not feeling dizzy. I also could drive on the inside street and not having this problem. First I attributed it to speed and there was some kind of frequency mismatch that caused the problem. Then later on, I read some of you writing regarding the adrenals, I started to think that I might have problems with my adrenals that caused my inability to cope with the stress during the freeway driving. At the onset of the incidence, I had couple weeks that I spent with my friends where we played all day, stayed up late at night and only slept couple hours per night. May be I crashed my adrenals. Six months later, these symptoms stopped but when I stressed myself a lot, I start having this freeway symptoms again.
What do you think James?

RE: Low Basal Temperature - James - 07-13-2012 12:24 PM

(07-13-2012 01:00 AM)Nancy Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 11:11 PM)James Wrote:  

Hi James,

Thanks,
Nancy

[/quote]

I have no allergies and no inflammation. I can go a very long time without eating and feel fine except being hungry. I could skip breakfast easily and go pass lunch time without being dizzy.
The only thing that I am sensitive to is stress and the way I deal with it is not stressing myself. I take things as they come and try not to over accomplish.
I don't drink coffee but once a while, this could be less than once a year, I drink a coffee with concentrated milk with a lot of ice; it's almost like a desert. I don't drink much tea, if any, it's usually herb tea.

But I too suspect that my adrenals might need some help. Last year, I had this problem while driving on freeway. I felt like I was about to pass out. First, I thought, may be I was anemic but I only felt this way when I drove on freeway. At other time, I feel just fine. I could exercise for couple hours and not feeling dizzy. I also could drive on the inside street and not having this problem. First I attributed it to speed and there was some kind of frequency mismatch that caused the problem. Then later on, I read some of you writing regarding the adrenals, I started to think that I might have problems with my adrenals that caused my inability to cope with the stress during the freeway driving. At the onset of the incidence, I had couple weeks that I spent with my friends where we played all day, stayed up late at night and only slept couple hours per night. May be I crashed my adrenals. Six months later, these symptoms stopped but when I stressed myself a lot, I start having this freeway symptoms again.
What do you think James?

Inability to deal with stress is a sign of adrenal dysfunction since the adrenals produce the body's anti-stress hormones.

And the fact that the herbs you have been taking that support the adrenals seem to be helping I would say that your adrenals probably do need help. Either way, giving your adrenals some support is not going to hurt anything.

[/quote]

RE: Low Basal Temperature - Nancy - 07-13-2012 10:19 PM

(07-13-2012 12:24 PM)James Wrote:  
(07-13-2012 01:00 AM)Nancy Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 11:11 PM)James Wrote:  

Hi James,

Thanks,
Nancy

What do you think James?

Inability to deal with stress is a sign of adrenal dysfunction since the adrenals produce the body's anti-stress hormones.

And the fact that the herbs you have been taking that support the adrenals seem to be helping I would say that your adrenals probably do need help. Either way, giving your adrenals some support is not going to hurt anything.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you for your comments and advices. I am going to start taking some of your adrenals tonic and thyroid tonic.
May you be blessed like you have blessed us.

Nancy

RE: Low Basal Temperature - James - 07-14-2012 08:30 AM

[/quote]

Thank you for your comments and advices. I am going to start taking some of your adrenals tonic and thyroid tonic.
May you be blessed like you have blessed us.

Nancy

Thank you Nancy.Smile
[/quote]