MedCapsules Forum
kidney stones - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: kidney stones (/showthread.php?tid=2958)

kidney stones - Diana6 - 07-09-2012 03:16 PM

Hi James,
My father (age 66, normal weight, no outstanding health issues) apparently passed his first (and hopefully last) kidney stone this weekend. He had excruciating pain Saturday am and pm, felt a bit better Sunday later in the day, then went to urgent care this morning (Monday) where a urine test showed blood. No other tests have been done, but the Drs. feel it was a stone. He's not aware of having passed the stone while urinating yet.

I did some searching here but didn't find anything (still trying to figure out the site) but found some posts on CZ where you recommend mag.malate and nettle leaf, which he will start on ASAP. Anything else I should tell him? If you already have info written up on this on this site, please show me where so I can learn how to find things. I found an article under Kidney Issues under the topics, but that was all.

Are nettle and mag. good to stay on all the time for him for awhile? Is nettle good long term? He probably should stay on the mag. anyway. He doesn't really take any vitamins or supps, but has a good diet.

He just retired, moved to a new state, and finished building his retirement home. Lots and lots of stress for the last year. Could this have contributed? He hasn't been drinking much water while working and moving in either.

Much thanks,
Diana

RE: kidney stones - James - 07-09-2012 06:15 PM

(07-09-2012 03:16 PM)Diana6 Wrote:  Hi James,
My father (age 66, normal weight, no outstanding health issues) apparently passed his first (and hopefully last) kidney stone this weekend. He had excruciating pain Saturday am and pm, felt a bit better Sunday later in the day, then went to urgent care this morning (Monday) where a urine test showed blood. No other tests have been done, but the Drs. feel it was a stone. He's not aware of having passed the stone while urinating yet.

Kidney stones are extremely painful, and another factor that can indicate a stone is that the pain does not relive no matter what position the person gets in to.

I did some searching here but didn't find anything (still trying to figure out the site)

I'm still trying to figure this site out as well. There is a lot of things I don't like about it, but it will have to do until I can find a format I like better.

It is going to take a while to finish copying relevant posts from various sites where I have posted. And I don't think I did anything on kidney stones yet.

but found some posts on CZ where you recommend mag.malate and nettle leaf, which he will start on ASAP. Anything else I should tell him? If you already have info written up on this on this site, please show me where so I can learn how to find things. I found an article under Kidney Issues under the topics, but that was all.

I am pretty sure I have not posted here on kidney stones yet. But the main things still would be magnesium malate and nettle leaf. These dissolve the two most common forms of kidney stones. Depending on the type of stone there could be other suggestions. If the person has calcium oxalate stones for example then they should cut back on vitamin C supplementation if doing high doses. For uric acid stones they may need to increase their water intake and cut back on high purine foods and alcohols. Phosphate stones may be from too much red meat, dairy or colas. Other factors that can contribute to stones include the urine being too alkaline or urinary tract infections.

Are nettle and mag. good to stay on all the time for him for awhile?

Yes, both are safe and have a lot of beneficial effects on the body.

Is nettle good long term?

Yes.

He probably should stay on the mag. anyway. He doesn't really take any vitamins or supps, but has a good diet.

He just retired, moved to a new state, and finished building his retirement home. Lots and lots of stress for the last year. Could this have contributed? He hasn't been drinking much water while working and moving in either.

Dehydration from sweating out a lot of water and not drinking enough water can definitely contribute to kidney stones.

Much thanks,
Diana

You're welcome.