MedCapsules Forum
shin soreness - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: shin soreness (/showthread.php?tid=2923)

shin soreness - Diana6 - 07-08-2012 09:42 PM

Hi James, your new forum is great. I've enjoyed poking around on it!

I've recently begun running and found that it helps with many of my post-Mirena health issues and neurological symptoms. It seems to push them into the background, and I feel stronger. 3 years ago I couldn't walk up my stairs without pausing to catch my breath and rest, and last week I ran my first 5K race. This is huge for me. I've been working at this for the last several months. I started with just walking/jogging a bit around the block because it made me so dizzy and sick. Now I crave the exercise and find it only helps me feel better.

So, I've invested in good running shoes, chosen after a gait analysis at a running store. I run on soft and uneven surfaces (avoiding concrete) for at least half of my runs, which are usually around 3 miles each, 3-4 times/week. It seems like a good activity level for me (40 yo, normal weight). I'm noticing some soreness on my shins. I feel it when I run my hand over my shins - it's like they're slightly bruised and sore. No visible change. They don't hurt when I walk or run. I'm nervous because I don't want to create any injuries that will haunt me later. Any suggestions? I do have your Bone and Joint formula, although I don't take it since my tendonitis went away a couple years ago after having the Mirena removed and going on your Adrenal Tonic. Would the Bone and Joint be good to take once or twice a day while running?

Also, I sent an email recently to find out if you have any of the old Adrenal Tonic tubs with loose powder for sale. I love that old formula!

Thanks,
Diana (previously happyfamily6 at CZ)

RE: shin soreness - James - 07-09-2012 12:14 AM

(07-08-2012 09:42 PM)Diana6 Wrote:  Hi James, your new forum is great. I've enjoyed poking around on it!

Thanks.

I've recently begun running and found that it helps with many of my post-Mirena health issues and neurological symptoms. It seems to push them into the background, and I feel stronger. 3 years ago I couldn't walk up my stairs without pausing to catch my breath and rest, and last week I ran my first 5K race. This is huge for me. I've been working at this for the last several months. I started with just walking/jogging a bit around the block because it made me so dizzy and sick. Now I crave the exercise and find it only helps me feel better.

So, I've invested in good running shoes, chosen after a gait analysis at a running store. I run on soft and uneven surfaces (avoiding concrete) for at least half of my runs, which are usually around 3 miles each, 3-4 times/week. It seems like a good activity level for me (40 yo, normal weight). I'm noticing some soreness on my shins. I feel it when I run my hand over my shins - it's like they're slightly bruised and sore. No visible change. They don't hurt when I walk or run. I'm nervous because I don't want to create any injuries that will haunt me later. Any suggestions?

Sounds like shin splints. Thy usually heal up in a few days. The Bone and Joint on a more regular basis will help. Also make sure to stay hydrated. And always remember to warm up first then stretch before running, especially the shins and calves.

You can get arnica cream at health foods stores that can be rubbed in for the pain.

I do have your Bone and Joint formula, although I don't take it since my tendonitis went away a couple years ago after having the Mirena removed and going on your Adrenal Tonic. Would the Bone and Joint be good to take once or twice a day while running?

Better yet at least once a day. It will help with the pain from the inflammation after running, but you also want to strengthen the tendons ahead of time to prevent injury in the first place.

Also, I sent an email recently to find out if you have any of the old Adrenal Tonic tubs with loose powder for sale. I love that old formula!

I am pretty sure I have some left. I am hoping to get over there tomorrow to grab some stuff so I can double check.

Thanks,
Diana (previously happyfamily6 at CZ)

You're welcome.

RE: shin soreness - zowie - 03-21-2014 03:13 PM

I battled shin splints for years. I love running, but would always have to take month long breaks because of shin splints that would never completely subside. I changed two things, posture and running style.

I heard the author of the book that promotes running on the balls of your feet as, he proclaims traditional peoples have done since forever. As a kid I always ran on the balls of my feet, so I switched from heel toe and got some flat running shoes. At the same time I happened to be working on running more upright, not leaning over my legs. Even though I had shin splints when I made this change, they went away, pains in my knees went away and overall, it's just a more fun way to run. I have no problems with shin splints at all now. I wish I had discovered this 20 years earlier. Cheers!

This is not at all scientific, just personal experience, but it's cheap to try and the results were obvious.