MedCapsules Forum
ozonate water - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: ozonate water (/showthread.php?tid=2688)

ozonate water - eoeoe69 - 07-01-2012 08:03 AM

Hi James,
i have a doubt since i get a water ozonator

it is ok to use tap water to make ozone water or is better to use mineralized water? or there are other better?

thanks

RE: ozonate water - James - 07-01-2012 07:18 PM

(07-01-2012 08:03 AM)eoeoe69 Wrote:  Hi James,
i have a doubt since i get a water ozonator

it is ok to use tap water to make ozone water or is better to use mineralized water? or there are other better?

Some form of mineralized water is best such as spring water. You can use tap water if you have to, which also contains minerals, but I would allow it sit for a while first to allow the chlorine in it to dissipate. For a gallon of water I would leave it sit for a day.

The reason a mineralized water would be best is because nearly all ozone machines that people will use for making ozonated water will be in the form of a hot corona or ultraviolet form:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2717

These units generate acids when air is used as a starting gas. Minerals in mineralized water can act as buffers to the acids that are formed during the production of ozone with these types of units.

Ozone will remove or destroy many contaminates in water such as perchlorates, but will not remove natural or added fluoride

RE: ozonate water - Nancy - 07-02-2012 01:11 AM

Hi James,
If only oxygen is used to ozonate the water, can we use RO water to make ozone water?
Should we buffer it with DE or other minerals before we ozonate it?
Your input is very much appreciated,
Nancy

RE: ozonate water - James - 07-02-2012 08:50 AM

(07-02-2012 01:11 AM)Nancy Wrote:  Hi James,
If only oxygen is used to ozonate the water, can we use RO water to make ozone water?
Should we buffer it with DE or other minerals before we ozonate it?
Your input is very much appreciated,
Nancy

Yes, you can use reverse osmosis water. The ozone will also help to remove the acids that will form in the R/O water regardless. Purified waters such as R/O and distilled waters become acidic quickly as they absorb carbon dioxide and other gases from the air forming the acids.

Adding the diatomaceous earth (DE) to the water first and letting it settle out will also help prevent these waters from going acidic and will provide a lot more health benefits to the water.

You can still ozonate the water after adding the DE and letting it settle out. The only drawback is slightly less absorption of ozone by the water since it will already be partially saturated by the minerals from the DE. But nothing that significant.

RE: ozonate water - Nancy - 07-02-2012 05:32 PM

Let me get this straight to make sure that I understand correctly:
1. For an ozone machine that uses air, it's better to use water with some mineral contents (such as spring water or water with DE diluted) to help buffer the acid created during the ozonation due to the presence of other gases from the air than using R/O or distilled water.
2. For an ozone machine that uses oxygen only, it is more efficient to use RO water than water with mineral contents such as spring water, tap water, or R/O with DE diluted. Since the minerals will partially saturate the water, the ozone absoprtion is not as high.

RE: ozonate water - James - 07-02-2012 09:43 PM

(07-02-2012 05:32 PM)Nancy Wrote:  Let me get this straight to make sure that I understand correctly:
1. For an ozone machine that uses air, it's better to use water with some mineral contents (such as spring water or water with DE diluted) to help buffer the acid created during the ozonation due to the presence of other gases from the air than using R/O or distilled water.

Depends on the machine. Using air with hot corona or ultraviolet units will generate acids. Cold corona devices do not generate acids though with air. Most machines used for water purification though will be either hot corona or ultraviolet since they are so inexpensive.

Still if using pure oxygen with any ozone units no acids will be formed. But people will often use an air source with ozone units for ozonating water because it is cheaper. If using either a hot corona or ultraviolet unit with air then buffers would be a good idea if using air as a starting gas. This is not necessary if using pure oxygen.

2. For an ozone machine that uses oxygen only, it is more efficient to use RO water than water with mineral contents such as spring water, tap water, or R/O with DE diluted. Since the minerals will partially saturate the water, the ozone absoprtion is not as high.

To an extent that is true, but there are pros and cons either way. For instance as I mentioned purified waters go acidic quickly and lack the beneficial minerals that provide other health benefits. The decrease in ozone dissolving in to the water is not that great and can be easily compensated for by drinking a little more of the water.