MedCapsules Forum
James question on Fo Ti Root. - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: James question on Fo Ti Root. (/showthread.php?tid=2653)

James question on Fo Ti Root. - Rzarector7 - 06-30-2012 12:25 PM

I read on your old forum to get one without sulfites because they made me hearing sensitive when I tried it so I went and got some from mountain rose herbs. The herb does work well but one side effect, this seems to make me angry for some reason? Is this because it is kick starting the adrenals or something else? I want to use this and wonder if that would go away or if it is just balancing something? I have heard a few say this before on another forum or two and got the same side effect.

Thanks in advance.

RE: James question on Fo Ti Root. - James - 06-30-2012 04:23 PM

(06-30-2012 12:25 PM)Rzarector7 Wrote:  I read on your old forum to get one without sulfites because they made me hearing sensitive when I tried it so I went and got some from mountain rose herbs. The herb does work well but one side effect, this seems to make me angry for some reason? Is this because it is kick starting the adrenals or something else? I want to use this and wonder if that would go away or if it is just balancing something? I have heard a few say this before on another forum or two and got the same side effect.

He shou wu (fo ti) can raise testosterone, which can cause aggression. The increased testosterone though is also why it works for increasing sex drive.

Unlike some testosterone boosters though, he shou wu blocks the conversion of testosterone in to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This is a good thing since elevated DHT leads to male pattern baldness (MPB), benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH, "enlarged prostate" and promotes some cancers.

RE: James question on Fo Ti Root. - Rzarector7 - 06-30-2012 10:35 PM

So will it stop over time when I am adjusted making me angry? If not I should switch over to another Adaptogen like Astragalus or even say Gotu Kola or Licorice? I seem to tolerate those better and they hardly make me angry (Gotu Kola makes me have some energy and be more talkative but later on at night boy can it make you sleep!). I don't need elevated Sex Drive all in all! I am only 33 years old and thats not a huge problem yet!

I know also Fo Ti leads to hair growth unlike the other you mention correct? Testosterone boosters I would not touch. What do you think of switching over to the Astragalus or the others I mention? I don't need anger as I get angry enough at work at times, I need to be calmer but sustain energy without a crash.

OH BTW Fo Ti is right in Zinc too correct? If so thats a good thing for me! Mos of my foods don't have it, will I adjust over time with the anger thing and have the adaptogen calm me down some? I don't want to be like that all the time, no way lol. If not what else can I use to get some Zinc in my diet?

Thanks James in advance you are a huge help.

RE: James question on Fo Ti Root. - James - 07-01-2012 04:02 AM

(06-30-2012 10:35 PM)Rzarector7 Wrote:  So will it stop over time when I am adjusted making me angry?

You could try combining it with Chinese licorice root or ashwagandha, which should help reduce the effect.

If not I should switch over to another Adaptogen like Astragalus or even say Gotu Kola or Licorice?

Each of these herbs has other effects. So what herb or herbs are best will depend a lot on what you are trying to achieve overall. For example, gotu kola also helps with nerves, memory and collagen formation. Licorice supports the liver, kidneys, reduces inflammation and boosts immunity. Astragalus is rich in immune stimulating polysaccharides and can help with bone marrow damage. He shou wu can also help restore hair growth and color.

But again, herbs can be combined for more beneficial effects and to balance out adverse effects.

I seem to tolerate those better and they hardly make me angry (Gotu Kola makes me have some energy and be more talkative but later on at night boy can it make you sleep!).

Gotu kola has a fair amount of B vitamins, which helps with the energy, but also supports the nervous system.

I don't need elevated Sex Drive all in all! I am only 33 years old and thats not a huge problem yet!

Then my absolute favorite adaptogens are schisandra berry, Chinese licorice root and jiaogulan (Gynostemma).

I know also Fo Ti leads to hair growth unlike the other you mention correct?

Correct. But licorice root can also be used to prevent hair loss from male pattern baldness since it is a great DHT blocker. Licorice root and gotu kola are both good source of B vitamins for the hair as well.

Testosterone boosters I would not touch. What do you think of switching over to the Astragalus or the others I mention? I don't need anger as I get angry enough at work at times, I need to be calmer but sustain energy without a crash.

Then ashwagandha or Chinese licorice root would be better choices. Both are calming but sustain energy by supporting the adrenals.

OH BTW Fo Ti is right in Zinc too correct?

Yes. The high zinc content helps to keep the testosterone levels up since it is a mild aromatase inhibitor.

If so thats a good thing for me! Mos of my foods don't have it, will I adjust over time with the anger thing and have the adaptogen calm me down some?

Again, you can simply combine it with a calming adaptogen such as the Chinese licorice root or ashwagandha.

I don't want to be like that all the time, no way lol. If not what else can I use to get some Zinc in my diet?

Shellfish are good sources as are pumpkin seeds. Or you can simply take a supplement.

Thanks James in advance you are a huge help.

You're welcome.