MedCapsules Forum
DIY Prepared He Shou Wu - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: DIY Prepared He Shou Wu (/showthread.php?tid=2641)

DIY Prepared He Shou Wu - mtl777 - 06-29-2012 03:47 PM

Hi James, I found He Shou Wu powder 12:1 concentrate for a great price but the only thing is it's not the "prepared" kind (i.e., stewed in black bean sauce). I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy so I'm thinking of stewing it in black bean sauce myself to turn it into the prepared kind. Do you think it's feasible to do this with a 12:1 concentrate powder?

IIRC the general procedure was to stew 1 part of He Shou Wu in 10 parts of black bean sauce until the liquid has completely evaporated. But I'd like to know more details such as, how do you prepare the black bean sauce? Do you prepare it separately by boiling black beans in water, and after that's done, remove the black beans from the sauce then mix the sauce and He Shou Wu and boil the mixture? Or can you do the whole thing in one step by boiling the He Shou Wu and black beans together? Also, how much black beans and water should be used?

Thanks a lot!

RE: DIY Prepared He Shou Wu - James - 06-29-2012 10:15 PM

(06-29-2012 03:47 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  Hi James, I found He Shou Wu powder 12:1 concentrate for a great price but the only thing is it's not the "prepared" kind (i.e., stewed in black bean sauce).

I would double check with the company and make sure it is not already prepared. It is very hard to find unprepared he shou wu since it is rarely used. Could save you a lot of work.

I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy so I'm thinking of stewing it in black bean sauce myself to turn it into the prepared kind. Do you think it's feasible to do this with a 12:1 concentrate powder?

Yes, it can still be done with the extract.

IIRC the general procedure was to stew 1 part of He Shou Wu in 10 parts of black bean sauce until the liquid has completely evaporated. But I'd like to know more details such as, how do you prepare the black bean sauce? Do you prepare it separately by boiling black beans in water, and after that's done, remove the black beans from the sauce then mix the sauce and He Shou Wu and boil the mixture? Or can you do the whole thing in one step by boiling the He Shou Wu and black beans together? Also, how much black beans and water should be used?

From what I have read the process involves cooking the roots with the black beans. They use 10 parts of the he shou wu root to one part of black beans. Keep in mind though that you are using a concentrate so you will have to make some adjustments.

Also, being that you are going to use a powder it could be hard to separate the beans after you are done. So personally I would cook the beans first and drain off the liquid as the beans soften. Then use this liquid by mixing in the powder. Not sure how you would do the calculations though for the ratios.

Thanks a lot!

Sorry I could not provide more details, but math has never been my strong suit.

RE: DIY Prepared He Shou Wu - mtl777 - 06-30-2012 05:50 PM

(06-29-2012 10:15 PM)James Wrote:  I would double check with the company and make sure it is not already prepared. It is very hard to find unprepared he shou wu since it is rarely used. Could save you a lot of work.

I checked and told them that but they insist that it's not prepared.

Quote:From what I have read the process involves cooking the roots with the black beans. They use 10 parts of the he shou wu root to one part of black beans. Keep in mind though that you are using a concentrate so you will have to make some adjustments.

Also, being that you are going to use a powder it could be hard to separate the beans after you are done. So personally I would cook the beans first and drain off the liquid as the beans soften. Then use this liquid by mixing in the powder. Not sure how you would do the calculations though for the ratios.

Sorry I could not provide more details, but math has never been my strong suit.

No problem. I think that since the He Shou Wu is 12 times more concentrated, you just divide 10 parts by 12. So that would be 10/12 = 5/6 parts He Shou Wu to 1 part black beans. Then multiply each by 6 to remove fractions, and that becomes 5 parts He Shou Wu to 6 parts black beans.

BTW what kind of black beans would that be? I seem to remember reading that it should be black soy beans. Is that true?

Thanks!

RE: DIY Prepared He Shou Wu - James - 07-01-2012 04:12 AM

[/quote]

BTW what kind of black beans would that be? I seem to remember reading that it should be black soy beans. Is that true?

Thanks!

Yes, they are black soybeans. The Chinese name is hei dou.

I found a site with more specific instructions:

http://www.dragonteahouse.biz/black-bean-he-shou-wu-polygonum-multiflorum-root-50g-1-76-oz.html

[/quote]

RE: DIY Prepared He Shou Wu - mtl777 - 07-02-2012 04:32 PM

Thanks!

It's hard to find black soybeans unless I buy online. Can I also use regular black beans? (I read here that black soybeans and regular black beans have similar nutritional components, so maybe the answer is yes but I would like to confirm with you in the context of using it for making "prepared" He Shou Wu.)

RE: DIY Prepared He Shou Wu - Nancy - 07-02-2012 04:59 PM

(07-02-2012 04:32 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  Thanks!

It's hard to find black soybeans unless I buy online. Can I also use regular black beans? (I read here that black soybeans and regular black beans have similar nutritional components, so maybe the answer is yes but I would like to confirm with you in the context of using it for making "prepared" He Shou Wu.)

Hi mtl777,
I am in California and remember couple years ago bought some black soy bean in a Korean market to experiment with making tofu. If you live near to one, you can try to find it there.

RE: DIY Prepared He Shou Wu - James - 07-02-2012 09:21 PM

(07-02-2012 04:32 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  Thanks!

I am not sure because I don't know what it is that is in the black soybeans that are reacting with the compounds in the he shou wu to alter its properties. This is one of those things where they found the properties from trial and error, but I have never seen any test chemically what changes were made.

The stimulant laxatives in the raw he shou wu are anthraquinones, but I don't know it these are being bound or destroyed and by what in the black soybeans.

RE: DIY Prepared He Shou Wu - mtl777 - 07-02-2012 11:17 PM

No problem. Thanks James!

I guess I'll just buy online or try the local Korean market as Nancy suggested. Thanks Nancy!