MedCapsules Forum
Dealing with gallstones naturally - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Holistic Medical Topics (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Gallbladder Issues/Disease (/forumdisplay.php?fid=304)
+---- Thread: Dealing with gallstones naturally (/showthread.php?tid=2578)

Dealing with gallstones naturally - James - 06-27-2012 01:55 AM

The liver flushes involving the olive oil, lemon juice and magnesium sulfate do not flush out gallstones. The so called "stones" are an insoluble complex formed from a reaction between the sterols found in the olive oil and cholesterol from food or bile salts in the intestines as well as saponified oil. This is why these "stones" float instead of sinking like real gallstones.

It is actually impossible to pass most real gallstones since they tend to much larger than the bile ducts, even when dilated with the magnesium sulfate. It would be like trying to fit a golf ball through the eye of a needle. People have reported feeling better after these "flushes because the olive oil helps to stimulate the gallbladder so the bile is not stagnant. And bile stagnation is a common contributor to gallstone formation. In addition the so-called "liver flush", which does not even affect the liver also provides a laxative effect and can correct magnesium deficiencies. It is not from expelling gallstones, which don't even cause the majority of the symptoms people are saying they were relieved of such as allergies.

If people really have gallstones then it is best to dissolve them rather than try to pass them. Trying to pass them can cause stones to lodge in the bile ducts. This can lead to pancreatitis requiring emergency surgery.

Most gallstones form as a result of more cholesterol than the bile can dissolve, so the excess cholesterol precipitates out leading to stone formation. Women are more prone to gallstone formation due to their hormones. Estrogen stimulates the release of cholesterol in to the gallbladder, while progesterone is a smooth muscle relaxant which increases stagnation of bile increasing stone formation.

Bile itself is a fat emulsifier in large part due to lecithin content of bile. Therefore increasing bile helps to prevent gallstones by preventing cholesterol precipitation and dissolve gallstones by making the cholesterol more soluble. Before removing the gallbladder was found to be more profitable doctors prescribed ox bile tablets to dissolve gallstones.

One of the best way to increase bile flow is with digestive bitters. As bitter tasting herbs hit the bitter receptors of the tongue the vagus nerve is stimulated. This in turn kicks up stomach acidity, bile secretion, and pancreatic enzyme release. This is why these are often sold under the name digestive bitters. They also stimulate the liver to flush, so it is very important to drink plenty of water throughout the day when using bitters. This flushing of the liver will also help with hormone regulation as the liver breaks down excess hormones including estrogen and progesterone.

Bile formation can also be improved by getting plenty of fiber in the diet.

Lecithin granules will also help by providing a building block for the bile. Make sure to use the granules, not the softgels or liquids, which are highly diluted with soy oil. The granules provide more lecithin because they are deoiled concentrating the lecithin. Finally, it is helpful to ingest SMALL amounts of good oils, like olive oil, with each meal to facilitate gallbladder contractions to prevent stagnation of the bile.

RE: Dealing with gallstones naturally - Anderson - 07-23-2012 07:20 AM

Can coconut oil help in this process?

I started to take a tea that is supposed to help with lever-gallbladder cleansing. It contains milk thristle, boldo, fumitory, quassia, clubmoss, mistletoe and peppermint.

I had to translate the names from Swedish so I hope I found the right translation.

What can you say about this mixture?

RE: Dealing with gallstones naturally - James - 07-23-2012 08:22 PM

(07-23-2012 07:20 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Can coconut oil help in this process?

Yes, coconut oil will help prevent bile stasis, which in turn would decrease the risk of gallstones.

I started to take a tea that is supposed to help with lever-gallbladder cleansing. It contains milk thistle, boldo, fumitory, quassia, clubmoss, mistletoe and peppermint.

The formula will provide support to the liver as well as help with breaking up stones primarily by acting as a bitter and several of the herbs will help relax the ducts.

I had to translate the names from Swedish so I hope I found the right translation.

What can you say about this mixture?

It will work, but be careful of how much you take at one time since the fumitory can be dangerous in higher doses. Low doses are sedative while high doses are excitory and can cause convulsions.

RE: Dealing with gallstones naturally - Anderson - 07-26-2012 06:56 AM

Thanks a lot!

I started to add a tea spoon of organic nettle leaf powder to the smoothie I drink every morning and noticed that every time I do so I get heartburn more or less 1 hour later.

Any thoughts on nettle leaf causing stomach problems?

RE: Dealing with gallstones naturally - James - 07-26-2012 11:22 PM

(07-26-2012 06:56 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Thanks a lot!

I started to add a tea spoon of organic nettle leaf powder to the smoothie I drink every morning and noticed that every time I do so I get heartburn more or less 1 hour later.

Any thoughts on nettle leaf causing stomach problems?

I have never heard of anyone having this problem with nettle leaf before. The only possibilities I could think of are the high magnesium content is relaxing the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) or the fiber in the nettle leaf is being fermented in the stomach. The later will generate gas that presses on the LES until it relaxes allowing the gas and traces of acid to rush up the esophagus.

RE: Dealing with gallstones naturally - Anderson - 07-29-2012 03:24 AM

I noticed the same with hemp seeds. I can't add them to the smothie either.

I'll see what happens when I start to take TMG.

RE: Dealing with gallstones naturally - Anderson - 07-30-2012 11:41 AM

I was just wondering: what if one increases his stomach acidity but there is a digestive enzyme defficiency? Is there any way to deal with that?

RE: Dealing with gallstones naturally - James - 07-30-2012 07:20 PM

(07-30-2012 11:41 AM)Anderson Wrote:  I was just wondering: what if one increases his stomach acidity but there is a digestive enzyme defficiency? Is there any way to deal with that?

Digestive bitters stimulate a release of stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes and bile.

Drink plenty of water throughout the day when using bitters and do not use them if the gallbladder has been removed.

Juniper berries also help increase these and also strengthen the pancreas, which produces some of the body's digestive enzymes. Since they also do a great job of lowering blood sugar it is best to take juniper berries with a little something in the stomach.

RE: Dealing with gallstones naturally - MarciGal - 07-31-2012 08:50 AM

James, you said, "Yes, coconut oil will help prevent bile stasis, which in turn would increase the risk of gallstones." Wouldn't preventing bile stasis LESSEN the risk of gallstones rather than INCREASE the risk? Or am I misunderstanding what you've said?

Also, I have read a lot about coconut oil and it is my understanding that it does not affect the gallbladder in the same way the other oils do. Is this true? Do different oils make the gallbladder respond differently or is it all just 'fat' to the GB?

Here is just one quote from one site I had: Unsaturated fats from seed oils are predominately made of long chain triglycerides. During the process of digestion, they must be broken down into shorter pieces in order to be used in the body. This conversion is accomplished with the help of bile salts produced in the liver and stored in the gallbladder. In contrast, coconut oil is more easily absorbed through the small intestines without the need of bile from the liver. People without gallbladders or who cannot digest fats (like those with cystic fibrosis) can usually enjoy coconut oil without difficulty.

Just curious.

RE: Dealing with gallstones naturally - James - 07-31-2012 10:14 AM

(07-31-2012 08:50 AM)MarciGal Wrote:  James, you said, "Yes, coconut oil will help prevent bile stasis, which in turn would increase the risk of gallstones." Wouldn't preventing bile stasis LESSEN the risk of gallstones rather than INCREASE the risk? Or am I misunderstanding what you've said?

That was a mistake, thanks for catching that. I must have been getting really tired because there was a spelling error I missed as well. I went back and made the corrections.

Bile stasis increases the risk of gallstones because it allows the bile to supersaturate with cholesterol. If regularly discharged though the cholesterol is only partially reabsorbed and the rest binds to dietary compounds such as sterols that remove the cholesterol from the body. This keeps the amount of cholesterol in the bile lower preventing cholesterol precipitation. Therefore, bile stasis increases the risk by allowing more and more cholesterol to build up until the bile can no longer hold the cholesterol in solution. So it precipitates out first forming sludge and if it continues long enough forms stones.

Also, I have read a lot about coconut oil and it is my understanding that it does not affect the gallbladder in the same way the other oils do. Is this true? Do different oils make the gallbladder respond differently or is it all just 'fat' to the GB?

The studies I have seen on the effects of coconut oil on bile flow indicates that the coconut oil still stimulates bile release just like other oils.

Here is just one quote from one site I had: Unsaturated fats from seed oils are predominately made of long chain triglycerides. During the process of digestion, they must be broken down into shorter pieces in order to be used in the body. This conversion is accomplished with the help of bile salts produced in the liver and stored in the gallbladder. In contrast, coconut oil is more easily absorbed through the small intestines without the need of bile from the liver. People without gallbladders or who cannot digest fats (like those with cystic fibrosis) can usually enjoy coconut oil without difficulty.

Just curious.

I think the confusion is coming from the fact that most of the fatty acids in coconut oil are medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) that are readily absorbed without the aid of bile. But the MCTs do not comprise 100% of the coconut oil, but rather around 70% of the oil. Apparently the rest of the fat in the coconut oil is stimulating bile flow. Here is one study showing what I mean:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8200753

Effects of dietary corn and olive oil versus coconut fat on biliary cholesterol secretion in rats.

"Bile flow was not differently influenced by the three dietary fats."